Rebuild Kits for a Zenith Bendix Carburetor

Started by billbuilds, January 10, 2009, 07:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I'm in the process of cleaning the Zenith Bendix carb that came off of my 73 FX enroute to rebuilding it. There are some pretty obvious parts that I'll want to replace including the bowl gasket, intake flange gasket, main jet fiber washer, idle jet fiber washer, main jet o-ring and accelerator pump boot. Other not so obvious parts might be the float bowl spring, float bowl pivot pin, idle adjusting screw, fuel valve, fuel valve clip and accelerator pump assembly.
     I see several different rebuild kits available, some with more parts than others and apparently domestically produced where others are offshore made. The offshore ones appear to be the most complete. What I need is a little help in deciding which of these rebuild kits to use. Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

panjs

Hey Bill, I have a Bendix on my '61 FLH. The last carb kit I bought was a genuine Harley part ordered from the dealer. Took a couple days to come in.
I believe it contained everything including the throttle shaft seals and was U.S. made. It was priced slightly higher than some of the imports.
Your dealer might be able to verify the contents of the kit. 
Jim

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Lew

Bill, stay away from the eastern stuff.  The gaskets are no good and the rubber parts rot fast.  Accell makes a kit for these that is good stuff.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Hillside Motorcycle

I agree.
If the brand-name products are purchased, even from lousey outfits, then you should be able to be rest assured of some quality.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

72shovel

I've bought the cheaper imported kits to save money, only to find out that the accelerator pump won't fit. It's happened once to a friend, once to myself. Then you gotta buy one that fits. No money savings there.