May 09, 2024, 09:12:08 AM

News:

Headlights dim?

Started by Phu Cat, January 10, 2009, 07:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

You may have seen the TV ad for the newer style headlights.  The ad claims headlights dim over time.  True?  I still have the original headlight in our '98 bagger.  Would we really benefit from a new bulb, or is that a sales pitch?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Evo160K

Don't know about the bulb dimming, but for some reason the mirror portion and the glass housing that hold my H4 bulb gets very dirty over time.  It all looks well sealed so it's a puzzle how it gets so dirty.  Cleaning with soap and water makes a huge difference.

skeets

Last time my head light got dim was because my stator went tits up
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

crazycalvin

Regular bulbs can and do "yellow" over time; this "yellowing" causes the headlights to appear dim.  When you look at a headlamp and it has a "yellow" tint to it while it is on, you might want to change your bulb or bulbs.  Newer headlamp bulbs seem to be a little less prone to this yellowing.  Later, Calvin.

hdpegscraper

Are you referring to the Silver Star somthin or another? I have one in the Dyna along with the newer late model headlight reflector. I was going to put a set in my car, but reading the back of the package showed that the life expectancy was about a 1/4 of a traditional one. They also offered another "Star", that wasnt quite as bright as the Silver, but had a much longer life. Now I do know that headlights do dim out over time. But I dont know if its a constant progression, or if they hold there candle power until they reach 95% life or so, and then trail off.   All I know is I ride at night enuf that I want a good headlight.  

highlander

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm

I had them on my last scoot and they are awesome. I just burnt out one of my spots and will be replacing both of them tomorrow.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

crazy joe

Has anyone gone to HID lighting or know someone who has?
I have thought about getting one from Küryakyn,   cost some bucks
but with what I've spent looking for good lighting I could have
bought one of there HID setup's.

boooby1744

Quote from: crazy joe on January 10, 2009, 06:22:02 PM
...........Forget the big K,  check this site  www.jwspeaker.com

crazy joe

Quote from: boooby1744 on January 10, 2009, 06:31:28 PM
Quote from: crazy joe on January 10, 2009, 06:22:02 PM
...........Forget the big K,  check this site  www.jwspeaker.com
What is the price sheet or do you have to call them?