May 01, 2024, 10:48:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fitting forward control to an FXRS

Started by Simons_shovel, January 10, 2009, 07:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simons_shovel

I have an 82 FXRS with mid mounted controls.  I have just ordered a set of forward controls that come with a chrome plug for the outer primary.  Any tips on the best way to plug the inner primary?
The kit says you dont need to remove the primary.  I cant see how you could remove the through the case shift pivot without removing both the inner and outer primary cases. 
Cheers
Simon

buzzurd

I cut my old shifter off with a cutting torch.It was a little scary but worked without damage to anything.Got to be quick.As far as sealing up the hole a bolt the same size as hole with flat washers on each side and a o-ring under each flat washer.Sandwich together and waaalaaa no leaks.
Buzzurd

Simons_shovel

Cheers Buzzard.  I thought about cutting off the shaft but I think I will remove the primary and save the shaft.  I must have an odd bolt that will do the job kicking around in the garage somewhere.

baldoldfxr

The forwards that were on my fxr had a chrome cap to go over the end of the shaft, it was secured with a grub screw didn't look as tidy but a lot easier.

Little Al

on my '83 I just plugged the inner primary hole with hi-temp silicone. probably not the best solution but it's what I did when I had it apart and it had days to fully cure. Been holding fine for 5-6 years and 30K+ miles.
Little Al