May 01, 2024, 05:53:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Panhead Cover Gaskets

Started by 61pan, January 10, 2009, 08:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

61pan

Looking for the "rubber" type gasket to replace the ever leaking cork type. I search the forum because I thought this was already covered but no luck. I think they were originally red but now available in black? I have the motor out now for a complete restoration and now is the time to fix the leaks. Wow this place is a wealth of information!

CraigArizona85248

Are you wanting to know who makes them?  Accurate Engineering is where I get mine. http://www.accurate-engineering.com/  They are available in either red or black.  They are made of silicone and can be reused if you follow the installation instructions and don't over tighten the cover screws.

James also makes a new gasket.  I'm not sure if they are made of a rubber or silicone compound but they are a little different.  The James gasket is made of steel sandwiched between two pieces of rubber/silicone.  The steel is supposed to prevent the gasket from deforming and trying to slip out from under the rocker cover.

-Craig

Pzokes

Craig,
I've been hoping that someone would try those James silicone and aluminum sandwich gaskets and let us know how they are.  I'm a little hesitant to try them after having problems with CC's cork and aluminum sandwich gaskets, and seeing the bad things that James "Fire Ring" head gaskets do.  James makes many fine quality gaskets, and probably no manufacture makes everthing perfect, but they should take the "Fire Ring" head gaskets off the market.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

fourthgear

I've got the James gaskets on my 65 and they haven't leaked yet.They feel solid when you get them to torque spec's, not mushy like a thick soft gasket.

Pzokes

fourthgear,
Would you let me know how many miles, how long have they been installed, and in what type of climate? Thanks.

fourthgear

Climate-Florida

Miles -only 128 & a lot of heat cycles before I finally got around to getting tires .

Length of time - not sure , some time last year , maybe six, seven months.

I used to start her every day , some times just to fire her up for people when they would come by. I lost oil pressure pulling into my garage and she has been sitting on the lift since then waiting for me to put the new S&S oil pump on I have for her . Since I have another Pan and the Ultra & work six days a week , well ,you can see why she is still on the lift.

Maybe not a good testament of the product ,but I believe they will work fine .

CraigArizona85248

Pzokes,

I tried something different the last time I installed the Accurate gaskets.  I ran a very thin layer of black (high temp, oil resistant) RTV on the side of the gasket that touched the cover.  Installed the gasket and cover and just snugged up the screws.  Waited 24 hours and disassembled.  Then I put more black RTV on my finger and pushed the RTV into the gap between the cover and the gasket.  In particular I did a good job of filling the gap along the low edge of the cover where oil pools.  Then I put another very thin layer of RTV on the gasket surface that was going against the head.  Installed the covers again and torqued to spec (7 inch/lbs).  I let it all sit for 24 hours so the RTV could cure before starting up.  These gaskets have been on since Aug 2007 (17 months), ridden every day, abiant air temps from 17F to 115F.  I haven't seen a single leak yet.  Yes, it's going to be tougher to clean up when I get ready to change them, but this is the first time I've gone this length of time and seen no leaks at all.  I'd estimate the mileage at 19K miles.

-Craig

ricochet

That's about how I do my knuckle tin rocker cover gaskets but in reverse order.  I Yamabond the little gasket segments to the bottom tins and put the covers on temporarilly.  Day later I go and remove the covers and check to make sure there's not voids between the gasket and base tins.  Remove any squeeze out and fill suspect areas.  I then put a real light coat of Yamabond on the gasket and install the covers and give it a couple of days to set up.

ricochet

Pzokes

I do my lifter gaskets that way.  For them I use the generic version of Yamabond, called ThreeBond 1104.  A lot cheaper and works the same.

With the Accurate Engineering rocker cover gaskets, if I get a leak at that front or rear hole, I take the screw out, Squirt Brakaleen in the hole to clean the oil out.  Usually I stick a Q tip in the hole wet with Brakaleen.  Then I fill the hole with RTV silicone, and put the screw back in.