May 04, 2024, 11:37:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

fxsts big tire bobber

Started by Devo, January 10, 2009, 08:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devo

Picking up a 97 FXSTS springer rolling frame and title this weekend for a new build project. Does anybody know if I can use this front end with a 16" big tire wheel for a bobber look. I know I will need to lose the fender and make something fit if I run a fender.

Looking for the look of a Zero Engineering front end for example

Thanks,
Devo

psyco369

I don't see why it wouldn't work I think the front end is the same on the FLSTS and it runs a 130 16 on the front

wvspike

Try a coker tire with a full 5 inch sidewall for that (big) look------Spike

CraigArizona85248

January 10, 2009, 02:07:47 PM #3 Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:08:22 PM by CraigArizona85248
Devo,

The easiest way to do this swap to get the correct length spokes and a 16" rim and lace it to your existing hub.  That way you don't have to mess with any of the spacing and you know the brake disc will line up perfectly.  Definitely look for a 5.00x16 tire.  They are a lot taller in the sidewall then a 130/16 or 140/16.

-Craig

d-dog

Harley says you can't but I've seen it done. Before 97 when the FLSTS came out, putting a 16" was a popular thing to do.  You won't be able to use HD harware for the most part because the FLSTS setup is different.
Dog

stroker800

The FX springer has caliper on opposite side of a FL springer ,,the FX has a 0 degreerake where the FL is -3 ..I have used both front ends and it will work fine...The only thing I could think of is tire profile making the trail different ,,but most likely Not.
Dave

Devo

I lucked out the bike is a Heritage Springer and in the garage, Now looking to convert to fit a 180 rear tire and bob rear fender

stroker800

The heritage is deraked 3 degrees.....in the trees.
Dave