May 08, 2024, 11:02:51 PM

News:

What parts fit a 1986 Sporty?

Started by llurch84, August 23, 2011, 12:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llurch84

Howdy,
I'm re-doing my girlfriends '86 sporty that was stolen and trashed. Some of the wiring was cut, the rear fender was replaced with one that is trashed, they took an old Chevy tailight lens and attached it with wood screws etc, etc, etc. Anyway I need to know what parts are direct bolt on and where to get them.

Needless to say; I'll doing some serious brain picking; any volunteers to lend brain matter? Lol

Thanx
lurch

andyxlh

August 30, 2011, 09:29:41 PM #1 Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:22:12 PM by andyxlh
Hello mate
the rear sportster fender - stock - will fit from '82 to '93. All sportys with the curved fender struts use the same fender. Later up to 2003 would be the same width, but the holes for the struts are in a different place. Late tail lights also have a different mounting arrangement I believe. You could also go for a bobtail fender conversion too, many of the kits come with a cateye taillight.
re the cut wiring - if you have a manual you should have no problems as the wiring loom on those bikes is really simple, especially at the back of the bike. The OEM electrical connectors they used are a bit hopeless, not nearly as good as the Bosch connectors on the later bikes IMHO. So it could be a good idea for a few upgrades.
to get the fender - try ebay for a secondhand item - check the year it came off - I actually have a stock OEM one with perfect black paint on my shelf from a '89, but I live in Australia!
for the bobtail, try jpcycles or foghollow or usatwins - all have given me good service and pretty good prices too.
best of luck
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

llurch84

Andy,
Thanx for the advice and tips. I was in Australia once - Freemantle on the other side but liked it. If ya decide to visit here bring that fender with ya. LOLOLOLOL
Thanx also for stepping up; if ya don't mind I'll be picking your brain some in the coming months as I reconstruct hers.

Lurch

andyxlh

Hey mate
happy to help. Freemantle is a nice place - guess you were in the US navy? It is also where Bon Scott is buried (lead singer from ACDC) - people often go to the graveyard there and have a beer with him - I did!
Those 4 speed evo sportsters do keep you on their toes - good fun to ride but they do have their problems, mostly associated with the transmission/clutch/alternator setup.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble