April 27, 2024, 01:06:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1990 Sporty Float Height??

Started by SkinHD1, August 23, 2011, 05:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkinHD1

Hello all...does anyone know the correct adjustment procedure for a 1990 Sporty 883 with the round floats and the new 4 sided fuel inlet valve?  The manual says to check it with the carb upside down and the instructions with the inlet valve say to tilt the carb at 15 degrees and adjust to between .690-.730  This measurement seems like way too much.  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

SkinHD1

JBarrettB

Round float CV carbs get there floats set upside down, no 15deg angle like the later black rectangular float carb. The numbers you have are right...set  it at .700" and call it good.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

SkinHD1

Thanks for the response.  That's how the manual says to do it but that is assuming you're using the old 3 sided fuel inlet valve.  The new 4 sided valve instructions say to tilt the carb and set it for a 1990.  I compared the old and new valves, and they are definitely slightly different lengths..  any thoughts?  Thanks...

SkinHD1

JBarrettB

I've always used the instruction for the float type when setting the height and/or replacing the 3 sided needle...and I always replace a 3 sided needle with a four. The round and rectangular float carbs have different methods and measurements.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

SkinHD1

Thanks again for the info...much appreciated.

SkinHD1