May 04, 2024, 07:44:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sealed wheel bearing retro-fit kit.....1995 Flht

Started by bgkatohd, January 10, 2009, 08:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgkatohd

I just picked up some new wheels, and i really want to covert to the sealed bearings, but the only kits i can find are for none fl's???? need some help thanks......

Billy

http://www.ftmbiz.com/harley_double_wheel_bearings.html

Probably have to buy the individual bearings and have the center and side spacers custom made, that's what I did.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

bgkatohd

looks like i cam stuck to packing bearings....over on another forum i had read, that there was a company and has since gone out of business.....oh well, just trying to put a lilttle new life in the old girl.......

Reddog74usa

IMHO I believe you are better off with the older style bearing set up. With a sealed bearing you cannot inspect the bearing for signs of wear and damage with no way of knowing when the bearing will fail. With the older style I clean, inspect and repack the bearings when I replace the tires along with new axle seals. It gives me peace of mind KNOWING I'm ridding on a good set of bearings instead of guessing or assuming there GOOD TO GO. I had a Bro dam near go down because of a front bearing "sealed" that went bad. Just my opinion and preference.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Evo160K

I bought sealed bearings from the company mentioned above.  I was able to purchase the outside spacer but had to have the inside spacer custom made because of the very close tolerance on the sealed bearings.

I did notice the "rubber" seals in the sealed bearings could be removed easily, perhaps for inspection.  They just lift out.

paulkay

Borrow a manual for a bike with the sealed bearings and read the bold black warning about axle torque. Friend had a shop install a new tire after which the shop had to replace axle, bearings, spacers, washers, adjuster blocks, and swingarm.

Evo160K

Paulkay is correct, the tolerance is super close, 0 to .001 according to my dealer.  The shop that make my spacer had some very sophisticated equipment.  My end play torqued is .0003.  Spacer cost $50 which I thought was reasonable.