April 27, 2024, 03:03:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS Com Port

Started by 05Train, August 30, 2011, 02:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Train

Need a little help here.

I've been using the same netbook and cables for tuning my bikes for over a year.  The netbook I'm using pretty much is only used for tuning.  Sunday I did a data run, tweaked my timing, and reloaded a map, no fuss, no muss.  Yesterday on my ride home from work I figured I'd do it again.  Opened DataMaster, named my file, selected "Comm Port 1", started the bike, got ECM Data, and started the recording.  20 minutes later I pulled over to check it, and it had stopped recording almost as soon as I'd closed the Tour Pak.  Tried to do it again (and again, and again), but couldn't get a Comm Port to open.

Got home last night, and had no trouble reading the ECM.

Tried to gather data again today, and had the same problem....No Comm Port.

Got home, tried to use the Limited's dongle to read the Night Train's ECM, no go.  Tried the Night Train's dongle, no go.

I'm assuming that the cable got sick and tired of being pinched by the Tour Pak lid.

Correct diagnosis, or am I missing something?
2005 Vivid Black Night Train - Lots 'o black
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Steve Cole

It is possible. If you are using a serial cable and that's the one that is getting pinched its an off the shelf cable. If it's our Black molded cable to the bike then it comes from us. However I do not think that is the problem. Windows is what tells our program about the comm port. so I think you might have a PC issue. It (interface) does not need to be hooked up to the PC and the comm. ports should show up.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

05Train

Quote from: Steve Cole on August 30, 2011, 02:58:53 PM
It is possible. If you are using a serial cable and that's the one that is getting pinched its an off the shelf cable. If it's our Black molded cable to the bike then it comes from us. However I do not think that is the problem. Windows is what tells our program about the comm port. so I think you might have a PC issue. It (interface) does not need to be hooked up to the PC and the comm. ports should show up.
Yes Steve, it's the cable from you.  The serial converter isn't showing up on the computer at all, hence the reason I'm thinking the cable's bad.

Maybe I'll try loading your software onto another laptop and see what happens.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Steve Cole

If your using a serial converter then that is what Windows is not finding. You should be able to just plug the USB to serial cable into the PC and it should show up. No need to even run the TTS software for it to show up. Instructions on how to test for it are included in the on-line help manual in Mastertune. Go to the help Search tab and type in USB then "List Topics" double click on the first topic and follow the direction to locate the USB cable/comm port.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

05Train

And now it gets weird.

I remembered I had TTS software on my wife's laptop.  Plugged it into the bike, opened DataMaster, and there it was...Com Port 3 available.  I unplugged her laptop and plugged my netbook in.  Nothing.

Then I checked software versions.  Hers was running 1.8.0, mine was running 1.8.2.  So I updated hers.  Now, I have no Com Port available on hers.

I'll try to locate the com port next.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

No Com Ports showing in the Device Manager, but the BIOS shows the USBs are active.  Other USB hardware's working fine.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Tsani

I have had to cycle the bike on after getting the no com ports message. Try starting the software first, then the bike.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Coyote

Quote from: 05Train on August 30, 2011, 03:44:18 PM
No Com Ports showing in the Device Manager, but the BIOS shows the USBs are active.  Other USB hardware's working fine.

If it doesn't work on another computer then the converter cable is bad.

Get yourself one of the adapter modules then you can use standard cables and just replace them if they get smashed.

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/category/115/usb-to-rs232.html

05Train

Quote from: Tsani on August 30, 2011, 03:55:34 PM
I have had to cycle the bike on after getting the no com ports message. Try starting the software first, then the bike.
I've tried it every which way.  I'm really wondering if there was an issue with the software update.  But then again, it's doing the same thing in MasterTune as well.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Coyote

Quote from: 05Train on August 30, 2011, 04:10:57 PM
I've tried it every which way.  I'm really wondering if there was an issue with the software update.  But then again, it's doing the same thing in MasterTune as well.

The USB to serial is independent of any TTS stuff. If you plug the cable in and windows doesn't see the converter, you probably need another converter.

05Train

Quote from: Coyote on August 30, 2011, 04:16:28 PM

The USB to serial is independent of any TTS stuff. If you plug the cable in and windows doesn't see the converter, you probably need another converter.
Great.  It's the black cable that's been taking the brunt of the pinching.  Is that available elsewhere?
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Coyote

Quote from: 05Train on August 30, 2011, 04:17:49 PM

Great.  It's the black cable that's been taking the brunt of the pinching.  Is that available elsewhere?

You mean the cable that goes to your ECM connector?  Or the cable that goes to your netbook?

05Train

Quote from: Coyote on August 30, 2011, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: 05Train on August 30, 2011, 04:17:49 PM

You mean the cable that goes to your ECM connector?  Or the cable that goes to your netbook?

The cable to the ECM connector.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Coyote

That cable is after the USB to serial conversion. You need to be looking before the tuner dongle. The cable you have from the netbook to the dongle is your issue. No matter what you do to the ECM cable, your netbook should still see the ports if the converter is working.

05Train

Quote from: Coyote on August 30, 2011, 04:38:08 PM
That cable is after the USB to serial conversion. You need to be looking before the tuner dongle. The cable you have from the netbook to the dongle is your issue. No matter what you do to the ECM cable, your netbook should still see the ports if the converter is working.
That's just bizarre.  Makes sense, but bizarre.

What's got me thrown for a loop is the fact that my wife's laptop had no issue reading the ECM until I updated the software.  Maybe that was coincidental, I dunno.  I've got a buddy of mine sending me his cables, so I'll try that route first.  If that doesn't do it, I'll uninstall the software and try again with an older version to see if that makes a difference (I can't imagine it would, but that's the only thing that's changed since Sunday).
'12 FLHTCUSE7

Coyote

Yeah, change out the cable from the PC to the TTS device first. I'm guessing when you plug that cable into the USB port on your computer you are not getting the normal chime from the PC indicating a new device was found (or the chime indicating it was disconnected).

05Train

Quote from: Coyote on August 30, 2011, 04:54:20 PM
Yeah, change out the cable from the PC to the TTS device first. I'm guessing when you plug that cable into the USB port on your computer you are not getting the normal chime from the PC indicating a new device was found (or the chime indicating it was disconnected).
Exactly.

Thanks for the help.

I'm off to Indy tomorrow for a friend's funeral (one of those rides I hate to do), but I should have cables in hand when I get back Friday.  I'll let you know what I find out.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

WVULTRA

05:

If you've checked the Ports (COM & LPT) in device manager, you should be seeing an entry with the USB device and a com number next to it in parenthesis.  Might be wise to reinstall the usb drivers from the TTS cd, then plug the cable in the laptop again.  It should recognise it as new hardware and assign the driver a com port. Or connect the cable and manually point it towards the drivers from the cd.  Page 90+ of the Tuning Guide.

HTH's
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

05Train

Quote from: WVULTRA on August 30, 2011, 06:48:39 PM

05:

If you've checked the Ports (COM & LPT) in device manager, you should be seeing an entry with the USB device and a com number next to it in parenthesis.  Might be wise to reinstall the usb drivers from the TTS cd, then plug the cable in the laptop again.  It should recognise it as new hardware and assign the driver a com port. Or connect the cable and manually point it towards the drivers from the cd.  Page 90+ of the Tuning Guide.

HTH's
I'll give that a shot when I get back on Friday.  Thanks!
'12 FLHTCUSE7

y2kflhr

I have the UPS tracking number in my hand....you should have the cables (and the belt tension gauge) by friday I would guess

05Train

OK, I finally got around to testing the new cables (thanks Dave!).  It's pissing down rain, but just plugging the replacement USB cable into the laptop gives me the "ding" sound, and the Com Port shows up in the device manager.  It is, as I suspected, a bad cable.

But the weird thing is that it's showing up under Com 3, and Com 1 is showing up as "in use", even though there's nothing there.  If it stops raining tomorrow, I'll try a run and see if it works.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

ViennaHog

For some inexplicable reason, tts does not seem to like all comports that are shown as available. I have 3, 5 and 12 open and it connects only via port 12. Anyway, looks like u found your problem

Coyote

You need to understand that, depending on how your device manager is setup to assign com port numbers, once you plug in a USB to serial converter, windows won't give the same com number to a different converter (unless you make it). It will show the previous assigned com port numbers as used. You can override this on the advanced settings.

05Train

Quote from: Coyote on September 05, 2011, 02:43:40 PM
You need to understand that, depending on how your device manager is setup to assign com port numbers, once you plug in a USB to serial converter, windows won't give the same com number to a different converter (unless you make it). It will show the previous assigned com port numbers as used. You can override this on the advanced settings.
That makes sense.

But damn this underlines why I hate Windows.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

y2kflhr

Quote from: 05Train on September 05, 2011, 01:48:35 PM
OK, I finally got around to testing the new cables (thanks Dave!).  It's pissing down rain, but just plugging the replacement USB cable into the laptop gives me the "ding" sound, and the Com Port shows up in the device manager.  It is, as I suspected, a bad cable.

But the weird thing is that it's showing up under Com 3, and Com 1 is showing up as "in use", even though there's nothing there.  If it stops raining tomorrow, I'll try a run and see if it works.

so which cable was it? the black or the silver? if its the silver one does the radio shack one work with the tts? cause you can keep that one.....