May 01, 2024, 10:50:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rocker cover bolt torque

Started by shadow, January 11, 2009, 06:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow

i posted awhile back on what would be a good replacement rocker cover gasket. I'll soon tear into the job & was wondering if you all use the normal bolt torque called for in the manual or do something different. My nuts (the ones on the rocker covers  :teeth:) seem to loosen & once the heads are on the bike, it's hard/impossible to get to them to tighten/torque them again.

Also, i bought a set of cometic gaskets, the ones that are rubber coated steel. Should i install as is or use some type of gasket sealer (e.g. gasket cinch)???

fulldress79

I torque them to factory specs but on the lower side using a beam style torque wrench,working from inside to outside,crisscrossing as I go.My local indy told me the ones with the rubber beads go on dry.For paper style I like Permatex Aviation style (the brown goo with a brush that never fully hardens).

hkd76

When I redid my top end 3 years ago I used Cometic's MLS top end gasket kit.    I put everything in dry.    Still no leaks anywhere.     I went by the torque in the manual.