May 04, 2024, 05:37:50 AM

News:

80 Ironhead

Started by Lucky JVG, August 31, 2011, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky JVG

I just proudley got my frist Harley 1980 Ironhead 1000 (xlh?) an tips on gettin the filler plug and clutch adj. plug out with out the needed tool...flat bar was a big no go! Also she has a drip at the shifter hopeing that its just a seal.( the shifter shaft oil seal)

Breeze

It's been a long time, but if the plug is not boogered, a 3/8" or 1/2" socket drive fits.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Lucky JVG

Im talkin bout plugs(filler and clutch adj.) on the primary...not the spark plug.

wreck74

August 31, 2011, 06:24:46 PM #3 Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:27:22 PM by wreck74
A cresent wrench and a big flat washer thick enough to fit the groove, closer the fit the better, less chance of boogering it up.

Breeze

Quote from: Lucky JVG on August 31, 2011, 05:49:52 PM
Im talkin bout plugs(filler and clutch adj.) on the primary...not the spark plug.

Sorry, I got a mental image of a specific type primary plug, sorta looks like the Chevy "bowtie". A 3/8"  drive would fit in a pinch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Sportster-2-Chrome-OEM-type-primary-caps-86-90-/220838264576?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336afc7f00
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Hillside Motorcycle

I believe that Georges Garage has the proper tool.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

garyajaz

i use a dirt bike tire iron.  fits right in.
or a flat steel bar.
why was yours a no go?

Lucky JVG

(garyajaz) Iv got an old mower leafsping but it just wont move and it pretty buggerd up from prev.owner...Is there any other way to fill the primary other than that plug?... can u force fill through the level plug? or somethin? Im desperate to ride the last few warm days and get it to a local ABATE party this week!!

Lucky JVG

Right the Hell on I got it!! With a bit of grindin and weldin on my leafspring(home made tool) she brke loose! Im good to go! Till the next wrench need turn Tanks fellas. Ride on :smiled: