May 09, 2024, 01:15:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New bike deals?

Started by Kansas, January 11, 2009, 07:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

January 11, 2009, 07:35:55 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:53:32 AM by Kansas
I am planning on purchasing a new Softail Deluxe soon and have gotten my local MSRP only dealer to throw in set of $750.00 saddle bags.  For you guys shopping new else where are dealers making any deals?  I have heard of the Sportster MSRP trade in promotion but that doesn't do me any good.  What's it like where you are?

HV

Depends on the area ....In Canada we throw in $2000 acc with any new Bike sold at MSRP
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

low_rider1979

Kansas
It isn't next door, but I would recommend Doerfler's Harley-Davidson
1100 E 43rd St | Hays, KS , 67601
PH: (785) 625-2022 | FX: (785) 625-2022
I have bought and traded with him 4 times in 5 years, he's always straight up with me.  As far as I know he  has never asked more than MSRP and I got what I thought were very good deals on both my wife's lowrider and my FLHTCI.  A call can't hurt, work with Brian (owner). Ya just never know.
jim
HTT member since 2002

tireater

Check Cycle Trader...Dealers put lots of deals on new bikes there...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

sixxfoot

buy a 1-2 year old one ...save thousands !!!
used market is where the deals are. I would
never buy new now. You try to sell a 2009 in
a couple years from now, you will be crying.
The strong resale on these bikes of 5-8 years
ago are gone for a lone time i think.

good luck
The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

Kansas

Sixxfoot, you are right, however............  I am 60 and for the amount of riding I do a new bike will last me for the long haul.  A two year old bike has two year old tires, if it has low miles it has sat for a long time.  My last bike I had was a used 94' Low Rider with low miles that cost me a bundle getting dried out seals and gaskets replaced, tires replaced, etc.  (I have virtually zero mechanical aptitude). I'm looking forward to a quiet exhaust too.  A new one will have a two year warranty.  Plus I inherited some money I wasn't expecting so i can just go buy it and own it.  If I rode it for 15 years it won't be worth squat whether it is a 2007 or 2009.  The window is open so why not?  My last brand new Harley was 1983 shovelhead Low Rider.  I'm due.

harleyjt

Kansas is right.  There's a lot to be said for buying a new bike.  You usually never really know about a used bike.  I'm sure that most are good bikes.  But you don't know how its been treated or maintained.  If a person is able to buy a new one then go for it.  If a person is looking for a "deal" then by all means shop the used market.  There's a lot of good deals out there.  But you know what you're getting with a new one. Don't forget you're getting a two year new vehicle warranty, and everything is new - tires, brakes, belt, etc etc.  Has a lot to do with pride of ownership that just can't always be measured in $.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

fxrp

If its anything like where I live there should be lots of good deals around. The local dealer has sixty-five 09s on the floor and forty-three left over '08s.  If I was in the market for a new bike I'd be offereing $500 over dealer invoice on a left over '08.

Paul

June2017

In todays economic climate,....NO ONE should be paying MSRP.  HELL NO !  If the dealers are staying @ MSRP then screw em.  Go buy used.  There are 1000's of deals out there, and the 1000's of excuses about buying a used bike is utter BS. 

Kansas how tall are you ?  I sat on a Delux and I looked like a monkey screwing a football, and I'm 6' tall.  Most folks that I have seen look to big for that bike. 

Kansas

January 12, 2009, 03:31:16 AM #9 Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:38:30 AM by Kansas
I am 5'7" and test rode a Deluxe and Heritage over the last two seasons when the H-D demo trailer came through town.  I have decided to abandon the Dyna family that I've been riding since my new Super Glide in 1980.  I threw a leg over a new Street Glide and it is just too ponderous for me. If I'm not comfortable on a machine I shouldn't be on it. The Deluxe fit me great, and I personally can't deal with the concho and stud motif on the Heritage even though the bags and windshield are appealing. Trust me, this wasn't an impulsive decision.  I wish they had a model of softail with the full size hard bags from an FLH. I know you can do it aftermarket but it isn't worth the expense to me of changing the exhaust, buying the bags and bracket kit, painting, etc. Also, I am done with loud Harley's and have no desire to replace the pleasantly quiet rumble of the bone stock exhaust.  The noise issue is a big deal to me.  Anyway, the Deluxe is as close it gets to what I want and if I look like a monkey screwing a football, well,  at my age, I don't care. I'm just in it for the ride. :wink:

Bakon

Quote from: fxrp on January 11, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
If its anything like where I live there should be lots of good deals around. The local dealer has sixty-five 09s on the floor and forty-three left over '08s.  If I was in the market for a new bike I'd be offereing $500 over dealer invoice on a left over '08.

Paul
Where do you find dealer invoice on Harleys?

I know cars are list on KBB.com, evan Ford lists them on their site. But I have never found HD invoice prices.
wasting time

Dennis The Menace

KS, not sure if you would have a state/registration tax issue with it, but I would look in non-sales tax states to buy.  Montana and Oregon arent too far to check with and buy from, and the ride home would be a great break-in ride.  ;-)  Of course, this also means if you were to ride it home, you may need to wait until May or even June due to weather.  Shipping the bike may not make it worthwhile.

Just a thought.  I bought my Ultra in Oregon and rode her back to Colorado and had a very memorable maiden ride.  Rode locally to get the first 50 miles in, and slow back roads for the next 250 before taking her up to highway speeds.  Was a great time.  And, even with airfare one way out there, I saved a bout $1K over the over MSRP pricing of the local dealers.  Not an issue now, I realize, but a good enough excuse to take a long road trip on the new bike!

truck

Read the last 15 red words and drew your own conclusion.

MILWAUKEE, Wis. â€" Trying to rev up motorcycle sales in a depressed economy, Harley-Davidson Inc. is launching a program that guarantees the trade-in value of some Sportsters when traded for a more expensive bike.

Harley riders who either buy a new Sportster or trade in their recently purchased one between Dec. 26 and March 31 will get the bike’s original manufacturer’s suggested retail price credited toward the purchase of a qualifying Harley Big Twin or VRSC motorcycle.

It’s similar to previous promotions Harley has used to stimulate motorcycle sales through trade-ins. The good thing about the program is it doesn’t diminish the brand’s value and reinforces used motorcycle prices, said analyst Craig Kennison with Robert W. Baird & Co.

“Of all the things that Harley can do to be promotional, leveraging the fact that its bikes hold their value well is a strong message,” Kennison said.
    Showroom traffic at some motorcycle dealerships has slowed to a crawl in recent months as unemployment and recession fears have kept even the most loyal enthusiasts from getting new bikes. One local Harley dealership recently said its sales were down 35 percent from a year ago. It’s probably the leanest time Harley has faced since the company went public in 1986, according to analysts.

“My sense is, you would have to go back before then to find a more challenging business environment. It’s one heck of a downturn, and it’s getting worse,” said analyst Edward Aaron with RBC Capital Markets.

Harley dealers expect 2009 sales to fall 8 percent to 10 percent on average, according to a dealership survey by Baird. The maker of Fat Boy and Softail motorcycles has cut production to match weakened consumer demand and has been cautious not to flood dealerships with bikes they can’t sell. “We think it’s important that Harley produce the right number of bikes so that supply and demand are roughly in balance at the manufacturer’s suggested retail price,” Kennison said. “Up until last April, there were too many bikes in the retail channels, and some were selling for below MSRP. Harley said that wasn’t acceptable and is now producing closer to demand. The percentage of its bikes selling at or above MSRP has been on the rise.” In the new program, riders who buy a 2008 or 2009 Sportster 883 or 1200 motorcycle, excluding the XR1200, have a year to trade it for one of the Big Twin or VRSC models and get the Sportster’s original manufacturer’s suggested retail price as the trade-in value.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Scooterfish

The H D mother ship knows what the selling price is of every bike a dealer sells. They want to see MSRP on the paper work. Thats why dealers like to show MSRP,then drop freight, set up, give gift cards, free labor, free services etc.

Kanas if you are 5'7" you will like the Deluxe. I`m 5'8" and ride a Heritage (fits me well) I would be looking for a new 08 left over as well. I don`t think there is much change to 09 on softtails. As for sales tax all states differ, but in Indiana if you buy a bike out of state you will pay IN state sales tax when you register it.

If you are putting bags on it I would still consider looking at changing the shot gun exhaust to get larger bags on it. The SE mufflers (NOT the SE II) that are 50 state legal and say Harley Davidson on the rear muffler are quiet and sound decent.Probably could find cheap on flee bay.

I would think the next 60 days would be a buyers market.  Let us know
Northern Indiana

fxrp

Quote from: SHOStreetglide on January 12, 2009, 03:39:46 AM

Paul

I know cars are list on KBB.com, evan Ford lists them on their site. But I have never found HD invoice prices.

Without revealing sources  :wink:  Invoice is 80% of MSRP. Which is typical of the automotive industry. I'm not up to date on cars but a basic car used to be 86% of MSRP and luxury cars were 92% IIRC.

Paul

fxrp

Quote from: scooterfish on January 12, 2009, 06:39:31 AM
The H D mother ship knows what the selling price is of every bike a dealer sells. They want to see MSRP on the paper work. Thats why dealers like to show MSRP,then drop freight, set up, give gift cards, free labor, free services etc.

HD sells the bike to the dealer; HD couldn't care less what the dealer sells it for. I doubt they even do know the selling price. Back in the day when bikes were 3k, 5k, and even 8k over MSRP when asked the MoCo said "they're independent franchisers, we have no control." Dealers can't turn around now and say if we sell under MSRP the MooO will whack our pee pee.

Most dealerships buy their inventory with revolving credit; the floor plan. The longer a bike sits on the floor the more interest they end up paying on it. Like my local dealer, sixty-five '09s and forty-three left over '08s and we're halfway through the '09 model year. What do you suppose the interest is on approximately $1.5 million?

Paul

Kansas

FXRP, where do you live that the dealer has over 100 bikes in stock?  Holy cow.  On the topic of price fixing it is illegal, but I wouldn't doubt the lawyers writing those dealer agreements have some way to make the dealers tow the line on pricing.  In my case the sales guy went direct to the owner, whom I have known since he was a kid. When the sales guy got back with me he made a point of saying they would only sell it for MSRP, but would throw in the bags.  It seemed odd he made a point of putting it that way, and it sounded to me that he was instructed to phrase it that way exactly.  I'm in the music business and a company like Fender has their MSRP that everybody ignores, but they have a MAP, (Minimum Advertisded Price), price of which you are breaking your dealer agreement if you under cut it in advertising, and it helps put a floor on product pricing.  They also ban "call for price" advertising, product bundling, (like buy a Strat and get a free Yamaha Gizmatron), a different dealer agreement for internet sales, and whole list of rules that you have to agree to once a year. The FTC is investigating the music trade so we will see how that all works out.

TexanKen

F.Y.I.  This just posted on another forum.

01/06/2009
New 2009 Harley-Davidson Motorcycles for Sale at MSRP, no freight or prep; limited time offer
call Greg at Mississippi Coast H-D in Biloxi, MS.  Ph. 228-388-8700
Know guns, know peace, know safety. 
No guns, no peace, no safety.

boooby1744

Limited tme being before they go out of business?

fxrp

Quote from: Kansas on January 12, 2009, 10:46:57 AM
FXRP, where do you live that the dealer has over 100 bikes in stock?  Holy cow.  On the topic of price fixing it is illegal, but I wouldn't doubt the lawyers writing those dealer agreements have some way to make the dealers tow the line on pricing.

Cheyenne, Wyoming, they also have a store 45 mles away in Laramie, WY. Between the two stores they have 108 bikes. One reason is they are the biggest bunch of a$$h0les you'll ever try to deal with.

If they can force dealers to tow-the-line now, how come they couldn't when some were $8,000 over MSRP and customers were complaining?

Paul

Kansas

FXRP - I suppose H-D is more interested in protecting the bottom price and if the top price is the sky that is a good thing.  A couple seasons ago I rode through your area on my way to the Tetons and over to Cody and back east through Big Horn and the Badlands. In fact I bought a t shirt in Laramie. The wind on I-80 across southern Wyoming was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. It started west of Laramie. There were a few times God was holding the handlebars for me because I was in way over my skill level. I saw a few 18 wheelers on their side in the ditch.  It was unreal.  Absolutely unreal.  About every mile there were signs to beware of heavy winds.  No $hit.  As if I didn't notice.  I'll never forget that stretch of highway. It just must not have been my time that morning.  At Rawlings I headed north and was I glad to have survived that part of the trip.  It was uphill from there literally and figuratively.

GaryD

I did the buy back thing with my Sportster back in 88. One thing to watch out for though is you won't get any money back for accessories. I took off the buckhorn bars, passenger footpegs, all the chrome do-dads, etc. before trading in.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

fxrp

Quote from: Kansas on January 13, 2009, 02:35:14 AM
FXRP - I suppose H-D is more interested in protecting the bottom price and if the top price is the sky that is a good thing.

Obviously you feel HD is "protecting the bottom price."  IMO you're misinformed.

Paul

ST40

FXRP,  How long has the current owner/manager been with the Cheyenne dealership?  Just curious.  I worked there for a short time in the late 80's.  That's when it was still out by the interstate.   The owners name was Jack and the service manager was named Jim.   I'll keep my opinion to myself for now.      Thanks.   :smiled:    Marty
Marty

tomcat64

Quote from: fxrp on January 12, 2009, 08:58:23 AM

Paul

Without revealing sources  :wink:  Invoice is 80% of MSRP. Which is typical of the automotive industry. I'm not up to date on cars but a basic car used to be 86% of MSRP and luxury cars were 92% IIRC.

Paul

wrong on both counts, i was in the car biz for 13yrs and now in the HD biz,,

t-c

fxrp

Quote from: ST40 on January 13, 2009, 10:23:19 AM
FXRP,  How long has the current owner/manager been with the Cheyenne dealership?  Just curious.  I worked there for a short time in the late 80's.  That's when it was still out by the interstate.   The owners name was Jack and the service manager was named Jim.   I'll keep my opinion to myself for now.      Thanks.   :smiled:    Marty

Marty

Yup the previous owner was Jack Ross, don't remember a Jim. In 2002 Jack opened the alternate store in Laramie, it has bikes and service, not just a t-shirt shop. The current ownership took over in June 2005. Three and one-half years later they're about to self destruct.

BTW if you worked in the 80s do you remember a young tech named Kevin Sanger?

Paul

fxrp

January 13, 2009, 01:32:45 PM #26 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:35:24 PM by fxrp
Quote from: tomcat64 on January 13, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

t-c

Must not be very high in the biz. I bought cars for years at invoice from a personal friend who owned several dealerships. I bought a '86 and '92 Chevy pickup at invoice and they were 86% of MSRP; I bought a '92 (IIRC) Olds Aurora (first year they came out) at invoice and it was 92% of MSRP; I bought a '96 Lincoln Navigator at invoice and it was 92% of MSRP; I bought a 2000 GMC Jimmy at invoice and it was 86% of MSRP. Like I said I don't know what they are today my latest auto purchase was a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe.

I was told 80% on HDs by a very reliable source.

Paul

ST40

Paul, don't remember Kevin.  The Harley tech was a tall tatooed guy named Roger.  The parts manager was a Vet named Dave.  Jim was the Service Manager and a Honda guy who liked to badmouth the Harley owners.  (when they weren't around)      Marty
Marty

Dennis The Menace

Kansas, you mention the Wyoming wind......aint is something?  FXRP, not sure how you stand it up there, but sure seems like there is a constant hurricane force wind up there in Wyoming.  lol

I have almost been blown off the road in my cage, and didnt ride much up there without both hands on the bars.  I also towed my travel trailer down I-80 thru WY in late 90's, getting only up to 50 MPH, going down hill!  And, about 6 MPG to boot!  Not very often you drive/ride in winds like that...for 100's of miles straight.

Takes real men to survive living in Wyoming.  lol

menace

fxrp

Quote from: ST40 on January 13, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
Paul, don't remember Kevin.  The Harley tech was a tall tatooed guy named Roger.  The parts manager was a Vet named Dave.  Jim was the Service Manager and a Honda guy who liked to badmouth the Harley owners.  (when they weren't around)      Marty

Well Roger ended up being the Service Manager.

Paul

fxrp

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on January 13, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
Kansas, you mention the Wyoming wind......aint is something?  FXRP, not sure how you stand it up there, but sure seems like there is a constant hurricane force wind up there in Wyoming.  lol

I have almost been blown off the road in my cage, and didnt ride much up there without both hands on the bars.  I also towed my travel trailer down I-80 thru WY in late 90's, getting only up to 50 MPH, going down hill!  And, about 6 MPG to boot!  Not very often you drive/ride in winds like that...for 100's of miles straight.

Takes real men to survive living in Wyoming.  lol

menace

Heck guys, we're used to it, but its amazing what you can get used to. LOL

I-80 west of Cheyenne is notorious for its winds, near Arlington if you remember the route. And north of Casper can get pretty bad. We get it around Cheyenne also, the week before Christmas there were 4 semis blown over between here and the Colorado line (11 miles). It was a bad day.

We say its not windy in Wyoming, Nebraska just sucks  :teeth:

Paul

harleyjt

Quote from: tomcat64 on January 13, 2009, 12:53:17 PM
Quote from: fxrp on January 12, 2009, 08:58:23 AM

Paul

Paul

t-c

A few years ago, the auto manufacturer I worked for took a look at each of the sources that offered invoice cost on vehicles.  None were correct.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red