May 09, 2024, 01:51:52 AM

News:

New bike deals?

Started by Kansas, January 11, 2009, 07:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxrp

Quote from: ST40 on January 13, 2009, 10:23:19 AM
FXRP,  How long has the current owner/manager been with the Cheyenne dealership?  Just curious.  I worked there for a short time in the late 80's.  That's when it was still out by the interstate.   The owners name was Jack and the service manager was named Jim.   I'll keep my opinion to myself for now.      Thanks.   :smiled:    Marty

Marty

Yup the previous owner was Jack Ross, don't remember a Jim. In 2002 Jack opened the alternate store in Laramie, it has bikes and service, not just a t-shirt shop. The current ownership took over in June 2005. Three and one-half years later they're about to self destruct.

BTW if you worked in the 80s do you remember a young tech named Kevin Sanger?

Paul

fxrp

January 13, 2009, 01:32:45 PM #26 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:35:24 PM by fxrp
Quote from: tomcat64 on January 13, 2009, 12:53:17 PM

wrong on both counts, i was in the car biz for 13yrs and now in the HD biz,,

t-c

Must not be very high in the biz. I bought cars for years at invoice from a personal friend who owned several dealerships. I bought a '86 and '92 Chevy pickup at invoice and they were 86% of MSRP; I bought a '92 (IIRC) Olds Aurora (first year they came out) at invoice and it was 92% of MSRP; I bought a '96 Lincoln Navigator at invoice and it was 92% of MSRP; I bought a 2000 GMC Jimmy at invoice and it was 86% of MSRP. Like I said I don't know what they are today my latest auto purchase was a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe.

I was told 80% on HDs by a very reliable source.

Paul

ST40

Paul, don't remember Kevin.  The Harley tech was a tall tatooed guy named Roger.  The parts manager was a Vet named Dave.  Jim was the Service Manager and a Honda guy who liked to badmouth the Harley owners.  (when they weren't around)      Marty
Marty

Dennis The Menace

Kansas, you mention the Wyoming wind......aint is something?  FXRP, not sure how you stand it up there, but sure seems like there is a constant hurricane force wind up there in Wyoming.  lol

I have almost been blown off the road in my cage, and didnt ride much up there without both hands on the bars.  I also towed my travel trailer down I-80 thru WY in late 90's, getting only up to 50 MPH, going down hill!  And, about 6 MPG to boot!  Not very often you drive/ride in winds like that...for 100's of miles straight.

Takes real men to survive living in Wyoming.  lol

menace

fxrp

Quote from: ST40 on January 13, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
Paul, don't remember Kevin.  The Harley tech was a tall tatooed guy named Roger.  The parts manager was a Vet named Dave.  Jim was the Service Manager and a Honda guy who liked to badmouth the Harley owners.  (when they weren't around)      Marty

Well Roger ended up being the Service Manager.

Paul

fxrp

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on January 13, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
Kansas, you mention the Wyoming wind......aint is something?  FXRP, not sure how you stand it up there, but sure seems like there is a constant hurricane force wind up there in Wyoming.  lol

I have almost been blown off the road in my cage, and didnt ride much up there without both hands on the bars.  I also towed my travel trailer down I-80 thru WY in late 90's, getting only up to 50 MPH, going down hill!  And, about 6 MPG to boot!  Not very often you drive/ride in winds like that...for 100's of miles straight.

Takes real men to survive living in Wyoming.  lol

menace

Heck guys, we're used to it, but its amazing what you can get used to. LOL

I-80 west of Cheyenne is notorious for its winds, near Arlington if you remember the route. And north of Casper can get pretty bad. We get it around Cheyenne also, the week before Christmas there were 4 semis blown over between here and the Colorado line (11 miles). It was a bad day.

We say its not windy in Wyoming, Nebraska just sucks  :teeth:

Paul

harleyjt

Quote from: tomcat64 on January 13, 2009, 12:53:17 PM
Quote from: fxrp on January 12, 2009, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: SHOStreetglide on January 12, 2009, 03:39:46 AM
Quote from: fxrp on January 11, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
If its anything like where I live there should be lots of good deals around. The local dealer has sixty-five 09s on the floor and forty-three left over '08s.  If I was in the market for a new bike I'd be offereing $500 over dealer invoice on a left over '08.

Paul
Where do you find dealer invoice on Harleys?

I know cars are list on KBB.com, evan Ford lists them on their site. But I have never found HD invoice prices.

Without revealing sources  :wink:  Invoice is 80% of MSRP. Which is typical of the automotive industry. I'm not up to date on cars but a basic car used to be 86% of MSRP and luxury cars were 92% IIRC.

Paul

wrong on both counts, i was in the car biz for 13yrs and now in the HD biz,,

t-c

A few years ago, the auto manufacturer I worked for took a look at each of the sources that offered invoice cost on vehicles.  None were correct.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red