May 09, 2024, 02:02:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ape hangers moving on a 05 RKC

Started by oneeye13, January 11, 2009, 07:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneeye13

I have a set of 18" apes on my rkc and can't get  them to quit moving when you hit a bump or cross rail tracks. I remember a post way back about a one piece clamp system that will alleviate the problem but can't seem to find it.

Kelley

Riverside Joe

Been in a few wrecks over the years and when my bars moved, the knurling always got smooth. I've tryed slivers of metal, small strips of alabama chrome but would have to bite the bullet and go with new risers. been awile since I've gone over the bars so maybe some one will have an edjucated answer. Good luck-----RJ
RFFR

Riverside Joe

Forgot to mention, The knurling on the bars are just as important as the risers ie I went with new bars also. Come to think of it, being bent up I think was the odvious reason why I would have to change bars------RJ
RFFR

Sonny S.

January 11, 2009, 08:22:03 AM #3 Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:00:18 AM by Sonny S.
I've been running 16" apes & 4" risers on my 00FXDWG for about 50K miles now. Mine moved at first, then I wraped the bar in course emory cloth. Wrap one strip inside out on one riser, and one outside in on the other. Don't overlap the emory cloth, cut with ends butted.
I've put 16" apes on a Springer before ( 2 piece riser ), and drilled the underside of the riser for 1/4x20, and installed stainless set screws. The Springer bars were not knurled though.
one piece clamp would be a good idea.

RK101

Quite a few years back I had a pair of bars that wouldn't stay put on my sporty. I did the same thing I put a patch of emery paper under the clamp and tightened them down and the problem was over. Was a cheap fix.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

gator

I put 16" apes on my road-king and they would move when I hit bumps. I saw the post that you saw so I put a one piece clamp on it, has not moved since! The right way to do it.
gator

fbn ent

Are they moving in the clamp or at the bushing?  Did you put in new heavy duty (or solid) riser bushings when you installed the bars? The emory cloth trick works.
Randy
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

oneeye13

They are moving in the clamps i have changed to the heavey duty bushing when i installed the apes
Gator do you by chance recall the pt# of the one piece clamp you used?

rking1550

had the same problem on my 01 RK. I did the one piece top clamp with new riser pieces no more problem- in fact the indy I bought the clamp from said you should always do the one piece when going to apes of any size too much leverage for the thin "straps" of the stock risers. sounded like good advice to me. :up:
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Faast Ed

I did the sand paper thing (mentioned earlier) years ago on a bike I had and it worked surprisingly well.
I used the mesh sandpaper (looks like abraisive window screen).
≡Faast Ed>

aceman2101

I had the same problem on a 01 Roadking even with the one piece clamp.The problem was the top clamp was bottoming out against the bottom clamp. Scurvy came up with the idea of grinding some of the top clamp off with a belt sander,problem solved. This was with 16" apes.

verson22

I've never tried it , but you could probably sand or machine the flat part of the clamp to tighten it up a smidge.

ULTRADOG

the 08 baggers had a service bulletin on the bars cracking if i remember right i dont remember the part# but i have used the one piece clamps check with a tech or im sure there is a tech here that knows hang on someone will answer i will make a call also
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

hdjax2

You could cross drill them and drive a roll pin through and into the lower half of the clamp.
Stuck in Lodi, Ca