May 09, 2024, 01:09:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

American Elite repalcement tires for Harley Davidson

Started by ezeemotorcycle, September 07, 2011, 05:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezeemotorcycle

Just bought my first replacement set of tires for 2011 FLHTC. Ran the original set to 15,000 miles. I understand the E-3 is the standard replacement prior to the 180mm rear and 17" front. (2008?) Any comments on the American Elite installed on 2009-11 e-glide is appreciated.   Thank you. :smile:

PoorUB

Quote from: ezeemotorcycle on September 07, 2011, 05:18:38 PM
Any comments on the American Elite installed on 2009-11 e-glide is appreciated.   Thank you. :smile:
I have a pair of American Elites on my 2010 Ultra, maybe 8,000 miles on the front and 4,000 on the rear. So far so good. I can not say for certain that they are better than the 407/408, but certainly not worse, and 2/3rds the price!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

ezeemotorcycle

Thanks PoorUB. Must not be too many folks riding on the Dunlop American Elite rubbers. :scratch: I'm riding out on a 2000 mile trek this week on a new set, will follow up. 

PoorUB

Quote from: ezeemotorcycle on September 08, 2011, 05:40:26 PM
Thanks PoorUB. Must not be too many folks riding on the Dunlop American Elite rubbers. :scratch: I'm riding out on a 2000 mile trek this week on a new set, will follow up.

I know there is a handful of riders here running them. I am surprised no one else has spoke up. Probably tired of tire threads!

geezerglide

I just had the America Elite on the rear and the American Elite on the front within the last week on my 2010 CVO ULTRA, will see how they compare to the OEM Dunlops.

geezerglide

Jeffd

I talked to the dunlop rep in Sturgis and he said that they should do the exact same mileage as both had the same dual rubber compound and just different tread but in reality the same basic tire.  He told me the  front and rear were desiged to be replaced at the same time not like the old 402's.

YFOPOS1

Hope I don't get reamed for this , (I haven't kept up the tire threads) but here goes...
Do the new Dunlops handle the tare snakes in the road ?
I remember  especially on hot days going into a corner and and trying to stay off the tar lines , but puckering up on the seat as the stock dunlops started the nice wobble skate feeling or on a road the DOT ground  up leaving the grooves and it almost feels like your riding sideways or going over one of those open grate bridges same thing.

I had replaced the stockers with Metzeler's and all that went away.
Coarse all this having an 02 and on 2nd rear  and 1st front of Metz (stock tires made to 4k) now with 26K on bike Metz still looking great ?

OK flame away..  :pop:

seattledyna

Brian, (yfopos) Herman has the American Elite on the 2011 Ultra he rode out from Missouri on, he said they work quite well actually.
The newer touring bikes handle different than the pre 09 ones, it's nice to see there is an alternative dual compound 180 tire for a decent price, I think I will go with that one on the 09 next time around :up:

As far as tar snakes go my 09RG gets squirrly on those also, really wakes ya up!

PoorUB

Quote from: YFOPOS1 on September 08, 2011, 10:47:01 PM

Do the new Dunlops handle the tare snakes in the road ?

No tire will handle tar snakes when they are hot. I have riden roads at 95F and the tar snakes had me clenching onto the seat pretty hard. Back a week later, same road, 50F and haul ass right over the tar snakes like they were not there.

limitedlou

September 09, 2011, 05:13:32 PM #9 Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:23:13 PM by limitedlou
I have American Elite's on my 2010 Limited. Had on back for over 15,000 miles and wear looks good. Got 25,000 out of stock Dunlop rear.  Front has about 10,000 miles on and got 32,000 on front 408 dunlop.. I didn't change at same time. I e-mailed dunlop about missmatching with 408's, they said it's safe as very similar tire..  Hope this helps....  www.jakewilson.com    had best prices at time I was looking...    My tires are wearing great..

HD WOLF

I have them on my 09 Ultra. seem to be wearing good. but when im in a long sweeping curve i get a slight slipping feeling in the front tire [ like a tar snake] not bad but noticeable.
dont know if its because the sidewall seems to be stiffer than stock or the weight of fork oil. I changed the fork oil at the same time i put the new tires on. I refilled with 20 wt. so i thought that might be the problem drained and refiled with 15 wt. i think it might have helped a little.
R P

lonerider2

September 10, 2011, 04:07:56 PM #11 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:36:39 PM by lonerider2
 American Elite on the rear of my 2009 Ultra, 7500 miles of NC twisties, 42 LBS air pressure as stated on sidewall of American Elite tire and aligned properly, lots of cupping!!! Tried to post a photo but don't know how to make smaller

HD WOLF

recommended 40 in rear 36 in front i have no cupping they seen to be wearing good
R P

topcat3815

I have been riding the roads in NC on a Harley since 1969 and every rear tire  Ive ever tried cups. Nc puts a lot of crushed glass in there asphalt, Its hard on tires.

Ardy

Put a set of American Elites on the 2010 Ultra before going to the Black Hills last week and they handled the roads there very well. Only had 10,231 miles on the rear, picked up a fricking nail somewhere. The front was cupping pretty bad so I changed it too. Bought the front from Jake Wilson and the rear from Dennis Kirk....Kirk out of stock on the front tires. Great price and fast/free shipping from both places.
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

Jeffd

Just ordered a set from Jake Wilson under $306 for the set shipped, ordered tonight they said they would be delivered friday. 

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

limitedlou

Rosco

Not sure that it will help? However, I have the American Elite on my 2010 FLHTK, and I am having issues with the front end vibrating now. Read my post in the "General" section, "Front End Vibration".
Robert "ROSCO" Koller Jr. (2016 FLHXSE)

ezeemotorcycle

I mounted a set of American Elite on my 2011 FLHTC and can report after a great 1000 mile ride over back roads of south central KY and north central TN. The tires felt superb with no noticeable noise or vibrations. I also love the "Made in USA" logo on sidewall. As a side note, IMO the riding throughout south central Kentucky and central Tennessee is as good as it gets. Even the Rand McNally identified gray roads (for those of us who do not believe in GPS for mc touring)are very well maintained. You will not be disappointed.  :up: