April 27, 2024, 06:23:20 AM

News:

883-1200 CONVERSION

Started by BONERACIN, January 11, 2009, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BONERACIN

Doing a conversion on the wifes 2000 883. Anyone got any good combos?
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

silvercab996

Buell Thunderstorm heads and pistons, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb. Bore your stock cylinders as they are seasoned. I've done several of these and they work exceptionally well. A 1200 with 883 heads is an slight improvement but has a hard time breathing and is a little lithargic.

BONERACIN

What is the casting numbers on the thunderstorm heads? How do you tell them from the others?
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

14Frisco

If you are going to get new heads, then the XB heads are a good choice too.  They can be bought from NRHS http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partsoemheads.shtml.  You run flat-top pistons with the XB heads.

Unless you are a super-performance kind of guy, I think you will be happy with any 883-1200 conversion.  The bike will kick a**, especially compared to what it was before.  Next thing will be to get better braking power upfront, unless you already have something good.

Hillside Motorcycle

883-1200 Wiesco flatops.
Andrews 8 cams
883-1200 Kibblewhite valve conversion, port heads
Supertrapp 2/1
DTT ignition
Stage 7 Thunderslide kit.
tune, point it straight and hold on, tightly.
You'll spank 110" CVO baggers, from the dealer level, like their tied to a tree!!
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

silvercab996

Thunderstorm heads came out in '98 on Buells. They are roughly $300 ea and are fully assembled with valves, springs, retainers and collars. The pistons are about $150/ pr with rings and pins. I used to figure $1000 for the heads, pistons, gaskets and boring/honing.

Heads are available thru Buell dealer