May 04, 2024, 10:25:20 AM

News:

True duals headers fit stock slip-ons???

Started by Mickster, January 11, 2009, 02:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickster

I have a 96 ultra with stock headers and Kerker slip ons...
I can't tell from catalogs if you can buy "just the true dual headers" and use the existing Kerkers...
Anybody done this???  Or, are the headers larger in diameter.
Seems spendy to buy another set of mufflers when these still look good and sound great.
Thanks for the help...
Mickster

04glide

Yeah you can do what you are wanting to do. You just have to make sure and buy the right pipes. Rinehart makes pipes that are larger then stock so just be carefull when choosing. Most aftermarket duals will fit stock mufflers.

digger384

Used Vance & Hines true dual header pipe and stock Harley mufflers on a '97 FLHT. No problems at all, good fit. :up:

smittyon66

I've been using the Fullsac kit for a couple of years and I'm real happy with it.

http://www.fullsac.com/truedual.html
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

JohnS_Rosamond

Paughco sells a true dual head pipe that will run with your stock (or current) slip on mufflers too. Early model with the flare and the later model without the flare.
John S,

Mickster

Hey, Smitty,
Fulsac...I have been looking for that for six months.
I had it in my work computer, but when I retired, I had to leave their computer at work..ha...
Do the shields do a good job of dressing it up?
That seems like a more frugal solution than a $400 set of headers.
And, Thanks John S for your input.
Glad to see you're still in the circut.
I always look for the wisdom in your responses.
Thanks guys.
Mickster

smittyon66

January 20, 2009, 02:15:23 PM #6 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:17:48 PM by smittyon66
I took the stock lower shields and flipped them over and end to end, so that the half cutouts for the crossover are now at the front and rear. Just the stock shield on the pipe from the rear head. Part of the pipe is exposed, but the new pipe is jet coated and still looks like the day I put it on.

One big advantage the wife and I both have noticed is a LOT less heat radiating off the exhaust in hot weather without the crossover.

It's a stage 2 evo with FI and I did not have to retune any after installing the kit.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!