April 28, 2024, 09:58:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"WET SUMP?"

Started by robflstc90, September 12, 2011, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robflstc90

Several years ago I was in an accident where a retard ran a redlight & I flew over the car. My bike was totalled. After it sat for some time & I weighed my options rebuild or replace. I tried to start it. Easily a quart of oil spewed from it. I thought the case was cracked. My mechanic said that my bike had a wet sump & that was normal. Where does this oil go. The oil level for the engine doesn't change after the spewing.
Some days my bike runs like there's nothing wrong in the world, other days :(

prodrag1320

the oil seeps by the check ball in the pump & fills up the lower end,when yoy start the bike the breather system evacuates the oil out the breather,everythings working as normal.the level in the tank will change (it has too!!)

mp

What bike are we talking about?  Harley Big Twins are all dry sump.  V-Rods are wet sump and I think at least some Buells are wet sump.  If you have a Big Twin and a mechanic thought it was wet sump, I'd get a new mechanic.
I would guess he said the bike had wet-sumped from sitting so long, and that it's not unusual.
And yeah, if you blow out a quart of oil, your oil level will be lower.