May 08, 2024, 10:20:56 PM

News:

New look (wheels and tires)

Started by stro1965, January 11, 2009, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stro1965

Faast Ed

That seems to work well on your bike.

I never thought I'd like whitewalls on a black bike, but with those rims they look good!  :up:
≡Faast Ed>

stro1965

Quote from: Faast Ed on January 11, 2009, 04:58:00 PM
That seems to work well on your bike.

I never thought I'd like whitewalls on a black bike, but with those rims they look good!  :up:

Thanks, funny you say that, I always thought WWW's looked BEST on a black bike!!  LOL 

Burch

I have WWW's on my black bike.....

Burch
Burch

verson22

Looks like a pile of laundry with white walls. :wink:

Rugby_fxdwg

That looks sweet! :up: What color is your bike? Can you give us the spec on what you have done to it? It looks like the same color as my 1999 Ultra, blue, same pinstripe.... Why black innstead of chrome? Cost? The gangster white walls on that loos great...better then the black walls on my stock cast wheels...You got me thinking...Its going to be expensive... :crook:
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

stro1965

I know the pics aren't the greatest.  The camera flash in the garage just doesn't do a very good job.  My bike is gloss black, the wheels were powdercoated gloss black.  And yes, cost was a factor.  Not counting the expense of new wheel bearings and remounting/balancing, this cost me exactly $50.00 per wheel.

bouncingVman

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

HotRock

Real fancy clothes line ya got there, looks like a Harley! :hyst:
Looks good, kinda nostalgic!

03deuce

Are those the stock wheels you had powercoated?  Is $50 per wheel the going price? or did you get a deal?

Skin

Looks good. I had WWW on a dresser a few years ago. Thought they looked great.....until about the second week when they needed to be cleaned.

JohnC

I think that looks sharp as hell.  A sharp-dressed dresser is what I call it!  I have new WWWs for my Ultra as well, but went with chrome mags off a Road King Custom.  Having seen yours, I could have easily gone that route had I thought about it.

I'd like to see additional pics, out in the sunshine. 

Good job!
JohnC - Kechi, KS

Dennis The Menace

I am with Skin...WWW look great, but I wouldnt want to have to put all that labor into keeping em white.

Still, it is a great look on your bike, Stro.

menace

stro1965

Thanks guys.  The guy that mounted the tires for me swears I'll hate whitewalls by June!!  LOL

I hope it won't be THAT bad keeping thm clean but we shall see.  I'm wondering now why I didn't switch to Lyndall Z pads while I had it apart.  Kicking myself a little on that one. 

As for the price, that $50.00 per wheel included sandblasting and is the going rate for bike wheels or car wheels at the place I use.  He does a nice job with quick turn-around.

fxstdavew

One suggestion Mr.Clean Magic eraser
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

backnblack

to each his own, i really dont like whitewalls,in fact when
i bought my bike new, i had them taken off and replaced
with blackwalls. like i said tho, its your bike, who cares what
anyone else thinks!

07Jakeelwood

A set of brake z pads will cost more than the powercoating lol

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Nuffink wrong with white walls. I recently changed out the stock solid disc aluminium [Yes thats how you spell it Yanks!] wheels for these. Yes i know they`re Harley too but listen; These are all chrome with slots around the periphery which lets cross winds through and negates the "Rudder" effect. They have improved the handling 100% along with the Avon Venom whitewall tyres. [Yes thats how we spell Tyres too]. The outer edges of my footboards are scuffed which is testament to my claim!   

The Venoms are a nice sticky tyre when they get hot, most Harley riders here junk the stock Dunlops soon as they buy the bike, no good in the wet and too hard a compound for decent handling. As regards keeping the whitewalls up to scratch; I`ve tried most of the products we have available over here. The water based solvent i use to clean the bike generally is o.k. but getting the ground in brake dust out, does prove a problem. The only stuff i`ve found that really does remove all stains, dirt etc and restores the white bits to pristine condition is, umm sorry about this......HD s own tyre and wheel cleaner that comes in the trigger packs, too expensive but if you want nice clean white bits, it does do what it says on the bottle and the white does stay white for a long time.[Unless you go swamp racing, that is].
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....