May 02, 2024, 11:38:52 AM

News:

Rebuild front suspension

Started by -SeabrookTrickBagger, January 11, 2009, 06:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-SeabrookTrickBagger

I have gone back and read a couple of months posts including those by SuperDave concerning front suspension rebuild.

I have a 2004 RKC.  I have not touched the front forks and don't know much about tearing them down, etc..  I did pick up a  set of Gold Emulators from Racetech, but I have not bought any springs or anything else.  (Probably gonna chrome the lowers while I in there).  I do have the HD manuals.

Any suggestions or links will be appreciated. 

My questions are about cartridges in the fork leg, the tear down and install tricks like using the aluminium spacer or heavy pvc or what else and preload/sag.  Racetech will probably supply the correct spring rates.

Gonna do a few legs of a Bucket-List tour this year, so I want everything in good tip top shape.

Another special thanks to TexasBowHunter for his info on rebuilding rear touring shocks, since that project is on the list too.

Seabrook
Seabrook

Clintster

What I learned by doing it that wasn't entirely clear to me by the SM and other directions.  Whe taking the lowers apart, remove everything from the forks and leave the tubes in the trees and just pull on the lowers.  Swiftly yank them downward, the bushings come out.  I took them out of the trees and tried to vise them to  remove lowers.  When doing the assembly with the Racetech stuff they are not real clear on the length of the spacer.  I had to take them apart again to increase the length of the spacer.  The metal they provide for spacer worked well and the length that worked best for me was 4 3/4 inches, reduced sag.  Prevented the bottom out I got with 3 3/4 inches. I used three and a half turns on the valve, this provides me with firm suspension.  It takes up little ripples and keeps the ride heighth high enough for aggressive riding.  Hope this will be of some help.  I am not sure the reason for your bucket list, but hope that you accomplish all that you hope to...                                            Clint
Drive fast, take chances

Dennis The Menace

SB, I have some new RT springs I have yet to install, but looking at the thin wall of the aluminum tubing that came with them, I am not going to use it to make my spacers.  I am sure it will hold up okay, but I am going to use PVC to be sure I get the best support for the metal washers between the spacers and springs.  The roads here in Denver have really bad frost heave and shifting soil, so I ride on roads every day that are like the tracks that many MX racers race on!  lol (sorta--I used to have teeth, not anymore)

I just want to be sure I dont have any problems down the road on my front end....its a PITA to do fork work on a Road Glide.

Admiral Akbar

You need to buy their springs.. depending on the weight you need to set the preload.. Racetec has an app on their web site to get you close.. I'd set the bike up for about 25-30 % travel as sag. I used .9 kg per mm preload 1.4 inches.. Max

shovelbill

i'm in the same boat, going to order my stuff in a little while. heres the link to get the right springs for your weight.
http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchstreet.asp
i think the best price i found is from these guys, haven't called them yet and never ordered from em either: http://www.axiomcycles.com/
build it, bust it.....figure out why

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Thanks for the info, guys.

I am still wondering if my '04 RKC has a cartridge on one leg and if so, should it be replaced with non-cartridge equipment.  I can check my manual tonight, but I thought I would ask.  If there is a stock cartridge on one leg and I remove it and put in right side non-cartridge components, will this affect the RaceTech spring/emulator set up.

TIA.

Seabrook
Seabrook

88b

Quote from: -SeabrookTrickBagger on January 12, 2009, 11:40:39 AM
Thanks for the info, guys.

I am still wondering if my '04 RKC has a cartridge on one leg and if so, should it be replaced with non-cartridge equipment.  I can check my manual tonight, but I thought I would ask.  If there is a stock cartridge on one leg and I remove it and put in right side non-cartridge components, will this affect the RaceTech spring/emulator set up.

TIA.

Seabrook

Road Kings do not have the cartridge fork, only Road Glides and Electra Glides

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Thanks 88b.

I have been too busy to read my manual/parts book.

I guess February will be the month to tackle the suspension.

If you can recommend a good steel braided and coated dual front brake line, I would appreciate it.  I have looked at Russel and Diamondback .... looking for the kind that don't yellow with age.

Seabrook