May 02, 2024, 12:27:18 AM

News:

Cylinder paint

Started by 96flhpi, January 11, 2009, 09:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Gonna paint my jugs.  They look satin black now, but did they start out glossy?  Anyone know which is correct?  Bike is '82 FLH.

Thanks in advance.

Dresser

When I had a Shovel I always painted the jugs with Krylon flat black for BBQ grills. It worked as well as anything.

96flhpi

Meant to ask about that too.  Thanks.

Hillside Motorcycle

Gloss black engine enamel will clean easier, but the OEM cylinder was a satin-type color.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

stroker800

Clean them as best as possible or better,,,try to find a self priming paint and I bake the paint on ...I like the gloss black for cleaning,,,,,I have blasted off paint with a low pressure washer before,,,,take your time to prep cyls.
Dave

96flhpi

Easier to clean is the way to go then, thanks.  Was also thinking of painting heads w/ high temp silver after I get them bead blasted to keep them clean longer.  Worth it or no?

Thanks again.

Hillside Motorcycle

If fresh beads are in the blaster, the aluminum with actually have a "sheen" to it once cleaned, that will last for years if kept clean. The paint will discolor with heat/time.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

96flhpi

Good to know Hillside- of course I have no way of knowing how old the beads are in the shop's blaster, and I'm sure they've never ever had old beads if I ask :wink:

Stroker - thanks, I know prep work is 90% of the job.

Thanks for replies.

HV

If you want a nice flat OEM look... get a can of Trim Black from SEM part # 39143  this stuff drys in 10 min and is tough as hell
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

JamLazyAss

Quote from: HV® on January 13, 2009, 05:54:08 AM
If you want a nice flat OEM look... get a can of Trim Black from SEM part # 39143  this stuff drys in 10 min and is tough as hell

HV,

I'll be getting ready to do my cylinders soon.
Is the Trim Black a flat black?
Also not familiar with "SEM". Where can I see this paint?

Thanks,
Jack
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

76shuvlinoff

it looks like it's used on oem wiper blade arms etc.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Little Al

I'm right at that point, this week hopefully. I'm interested too in where to get it.
Little Al

76shuvlinoff

I goggled it, $8 and change per can.

Just type in  SEM part # 39143
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HV

Its TRIM Black ... used on Auto Motive  out side flat black parts.... wiper blades...parts of the grill...etc.... its a flat semi shine ...I painted a bracket I made for my Cross Bones Pipe last year...rode all summer... lots of washing... it never peeled or chipped...I did my primary cover and nose cone  Cylinders and top rocker boxes on the Shovel ... its completely dry and you can touch it in 20 min ... I like it much better then the HD Wrinkle paint
Skype HV.HTT

76shuvlinoff

HV, how did you prep those parts and did you use a primer?

- Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway

HV

I washed them with contact cleaner ...roughed them up a bit with scotchbrite and then cleaned again...and painted ...
Skype HV.HTT

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

HV

A few quick pics

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Skype HV.HTT