May 08, 2024, 01:12:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Will it Fit ?

Started by War Horse, September 18, 2011, 05:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

Will a '88 FLH Evo engine/tranny combo fit into a '81 FXR frame, I'm thinking it should but not sure, TIA.
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Mark222

Evo was 1.5" taller, might be a problem.

Mark

War Horse

Hmm, yep time to measure, thanks Mark.

fleetmechanic

If memory serves the FXR didn't show up until about 1983 in a shovelhead version just before the Evos started in 1984.  a 1981 FX frame is probably the old 4 speed template.

War Horse

Just goggled it too, 1982 was the first year for rubber mount FXR, 80 for the FLH's. Good call, fleetmechanic.  :up:

gryphon

There were very few changes in the FXR frames. The EVO motor will fit. The FLH tranny I'm not so sure about. Does the tranny have the oil tank built in like the later FLH's?

War Horse

gryphon, I'm not sure as I'm doing research for a friend again. I've tried to get him to get in here and I don't think he's computer literate enough to goggle. Gonna have to go to his house and set him up......  :banghead:

turboprop

Any year evo engine will bolt into ANY year FXR frame. That trans will to if it does not have the oil pan underneath it.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

harleyjt

Quote from: gryphon on September 18, 2011, 10:43:32 AM
There were very few changes in the FXR frames. The EVO motor will fit. The FLH tranny I'm not so sure about. Does the tranny have the oil tank built in like the later FLH's?

Oil tank moved under the tranny in 93.  Prior to that it was on the right side and encroached on the saddlebag.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red