May 03, 2024, 04:10:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Auto Tensioner Question

Started by Molly, January 12, 2009, 01:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Just read the installation instructions FSG has made available here but wondered if the auto tensioner rachets up, locking in place each time or does it spring up and down as the slack demands?

Anybody fitted it? Any thoughts?

FSG

Molly,  it ratchets up, locking in place each time but does have a certain amount of give due to a spring in it.  I installed one in my '03 Fatty a few years ago, it ratcheted up so much the chain was as tight as a piano wire and you could almost play a tune on it.  I replaced it with a HB-125 and sold the HD Auto Tensioner (POS) on eBay to a guy on the Sunshine Coast who put it in a Go-Cart.  Save your money and leave the stock adjuster in there, else go the HB-125 route.

When does the young one hatch?  Rgd's to Jo & self.

Molly

Cheers for the advice FSG.

Jo's fine and the baby's due in about two weeks. Could come anytime now I suppose. Hasn't stopped her helping me paint the house today...

Enjoying this older RK ('01) more than the '06 I used to have. Still got a wee rattle I'm having trouble tracking down but it seems less once hot (part of why I was looking at the primary chain tension). Picked up a Guzzi V11 whilst we were back in the Isle of Man last year. Makes for a nice alternative when the mood takes me.

Hope you're well and getting plenty of riding in over there. All the best,

Molly.

PoorUB

Molly, I have the HB125 in my Ultra and would not be without it. The bike shifts easier, neutral is easier to find, and it toke out allot of driveline slack that shows up while idling through parking lots.
Don't buy it so you never have to adjust the chain, that is far from the reason to own one. The HB125 improves the operation of the bike.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

RK101

I've been running the HB125 also in my bike for the last 45k miles with great results. No complaints at all. IMO it's a great bang for the buck product.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

jsachs1

I usually disable the MoCo ratchet adjusters,by welding,so they can't keep the chain like a banjo string.  :angry:
John

jazzman713

FSG

Quote from: jazzman713 on January 13, 2009, 01:52:12 PM
where is the best place to get this

The Auto Tensioner (HD?) or the HB125 ?

FSG

January 13, 2009, 03:54:55 PM #9 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:04:53 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Get it direct from Southern Oregon Hot Bikes

actually it looks like they have a "New!! HB Wedge Hydraulic Chain Tensioner" that will replace the HD Auto Tensioner in the late models.   :up:

RK101

Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

PoorUB

Quote from: jazzman713 on January 13, 2009, 02:42:22 PM
the HB125

Ebay! SOHB sell them on Ebay fairly often. You can pick them up for $60 or so.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sonny S.

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on January 13, 2009, 03:54:55 PM
Get it direct from Southern Oregon Hot Bikes

actually it looks like they have a "New!! HB Wedge Hydraulic Chain Tensioner" that will replace the HD Auto Tensioner in the late models.   :up:

Wonder why the new design

JimB

It looks like the HD tensioner that has ratcheting teeth but with a redesigned wedge. In the video you can see the wedge moving back & forth... the HD unit ratchets up tight and is held in place by the meshing teeth.

I have read on other sites that people have taken the HD tensioner, ground off the teeth on the wedge to make it smooth then reinstalled it & it worked very well but didnt get the chain too tight.

I havent done it myself so no first hand knowledge

FSG

Wonder why the new design

so they would have a replacement for the HD125 to offer for use in later year HD's

jazzman713

will this work on a sportster as well?