May 08, 2024, 08:28:25 PM

News:

Center maintenance stands

Started by JohnC, January 12, 2009, 04:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnC

To all,

I'm considering purchasing one of these centerlift maintenance stands.  It's been a while, but I've read cases where folks made up there own.  I would be willing to try that but am unsure about the dimensions.  I don't want to make it too high where it's a bear to lift the bike off the ground but I also want it high enough to get the front or rear wheel off the ground.

Can anyone help?

tinkerman

nightrider.com has instructions for building something similar but the use a piece of wooden framing for the horizontal portion. It would give you some ideas for construction even if you wanted to use metal tubing for the whole affair.

I have seen some metal tube homemade instructions somewhere in my travels online as well.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

tireater

I have seen them on sale at Kragen for $80 with the same lift numbers as my PitBull lift....Good deal...!
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

seattledyna

I have one of those that is in your link, very well made and I have had it 8 years or so, use it alot to do quick maint. and cleaning, whats nice is the curve by the handle so you dont get your fingers trapped!
easy to store also!

Princess Butt

I had a homemade one similar to that years ago. I don't remember the dimensions, but it was really sturdy. I traded it away after I got a lift.

It was great for regular maintenance, but some of the heavy duty stuff, like changing tires, required a lift.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Scurvy

Pretty inexpensive to make... mine was a 2 - 2x8's screwed and glued together, carpet on the top edge, a flange, some lag bolts, and an iron pipe. Just tall enough to rock the softail and hold it upright so either tire could be unweighted and spun when I washed it. I just use it for cleaning.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

tinkerman

I should have posted the direct link previously... Here you go.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Ed Y

John,

Just have someone hold the bike upright. Measure from the floor to the bottom of the frame rails. Add 1". Years and years ago we made them from round hollow tubing welded together. Or use  rebar if you want a heavy one.

BKACHE

My 4' long 2X8 with the flange and 4' pipe works great for $10 or so.
Dan

still_havinfun

i made this stand back in 95 and scaled up the proportions from a photo in a mag. i used ball rollers instead of wheels that allowed the unit with bike on it to be spun 360deg. or moved in any direction. i had all the stuff on hand so i was only out a can of paint.