May 01, 2024, 11:44:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

buying major parts

Started by Little Al, January 12, 2009, 07:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

I usually ask way too many questions in one post so tonight I thought I'd start a separate post for each question making it easier for you experts to answer

When buying certain major (read that as expensive!) where should I be looking for the best VALUE? Money is an issue but I learned long ago that sometime inexpensive is cheap and sometimes expensive is still crap. The parts I'll soon be buying that I'm concerned about for getting at the right price AND quality and authentic as far as fit and look and correctness for my '54 FL are:

1) gas tank with hand shift and badge brackets, but using (non-original style) a regular petcock
2) complete front fork assembly including trees for mechanical brakes
3) original style star hub wheels

I've done some research and comparisons of prices on some of these parts and it just confused me more! I've looked at V-Twin, J&P, NOSParts. There must be other reliable suppliers of Pan stuff but those are the only one's I really know of except for a few small specialized ones (like Hummer Emporium for wiring harnesses) so any suggestions for suppliers and what parts I might wanna buy from them are also appreciated

I need almost everything since all I basically have is a complete motor, trans & frame...

Thanks!
Little Al

CraigArizona85248

I've actually had very good luck with finding things on eBay.  I know there is a lot of fear of getting ripped off there, but I've always got things exactly as described by the seller.  Beyond that, I've had very good luck buying from guys locally and from people I've done business with in the past.  About 2 years ago I picked up a rough but still very usable early wishbone frame for $300.  I found that one just by talking to a guy at dealership who was checking out my panhead.  He started telling me about his old panhead and then mentioned that he still had this old frame out in his shed.  I scored a sweet servicable starhub from 4DWUDS in trade for a carburetor almost two years ago.  Got that hub on my front wheel now.  My latest score hasn't arrived yet.  I found some NOS panhead cylinders!  Never used.  The guy who found them for me is a guy I've done a lot of business with over the years.  He's a machinist and has ordered a set of Wiseco forged pistons for me (std bore) and will hone the cylinders to fit before sending me the whole package. 

Bottom line... explore all avenues.  eBay, friends, people here on HTT, etc.  Post your "want to buy" items in the swap meet section and see what floats to the surface.

-Craig

Little Al

Craig, I agree eBay is a good source. I've bought lots of stuff there especially for my Shovel and have only had good experiences, but then again i ask lots of questions and I'm care about what i buy.

You're right too about the WTB and For Sale here and other boards, always a good source too, but I am looking for other suppliers too.
Little Al

Deye76

Is M. F. Egan still around?
Although he won't be cheap.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Erichill

Most of the aftermarket stuff is ultimately coming from the same manufacturers through V Twin.  I had to do some type of work on probably 75% of the aftermarket stuff I purchased. All my tins needed body work.  Many of the electrical components such as horn ignition switch and rear brake light switch did not work from the box. I purchased my forks with stem and bearings from the same company, and had to machine a shim for the bearings to fit snug over the stem (3/32" play).

When I do this again, I will try spend more for original parts even if they need work. Best suggestion I can give is work through a shop when ordering. You will put money in their pocket to help keep them in business, and you will get the advantage of their experience.  Most importantly when you do have a problem, they will be able to return/exchange things with less hassle.  And there is no dollar figure you can put on the advice a seasoned shop can give you. 

Have fun, just don't keep track of the money you spend.
Eric

dablaze

Its not a quality thing, just don't like the look of the after market tanks myself...they are almost too good, they match too close and are too modern looking for me.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

v10ole

Hey try www.robsusedharleyparts.com he seem like a straight shooter and has a ton of OEM parts. Ole