May 09, 2024, 08:03:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Softail fender strut cover bolts / washers

Started by aal, January 12, 2009, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

Can I safely use fender strut bolts without washers?  I got the chrome bolts, but don't like the finish washers that come with them.  I can't find washers that match the outside diameter of the bolt heads, like the stock ones do.  The stock washers don't seem to come off of the stock bolts either.  Thanks.

verson22

The cover is protected by the washer from the hex corners and wrench to a certain extent.Eventually you would mess up the strut cover if they are removed a few times. I'd spring for some chrome washers the size you like. Ted

aal

I went with the stock ones for now, although when I went to the dealer to get them I noticed a fatboy in the lot with just the chrome bolts and no washers; looked good.

still_on2_wheels

Try copper or aluminum crush washers. I think I saw some at Ace recently during a hardware scouting mission. They are much thinner OD than SAE finish washers and would hide under the hex head.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

Blazing Saddles

I've been using chrome button head allen bolts in my struts for over 15 years. I actually use a couple of different lenghts depending on whether or not I am running the docking posts for my Easy Brackets/saddlebag  setup.

Blazin'

aal

Quote from: still_on2_wheels on January 14, 2009, 05:08:37 AM
Try copper or aluminum crush washers. I think I saw some at Ace recently during a hardware scouting mission. They are much thinner OD than SAE finish washers and would hide under the hex head.

Jeff

I thought about this, but wasn't sure if the crush washers would work.  I noticed also they are almost the same size as the bolt head.

Also, blazingsaddles, you use these without washers?

Blazing Saddles