May 09, 2024, 03:27:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FLORIDA MOTORCYCLIST TO GET SCREWED AGAIN

Started by ROGUE, January 13, 2009, 06:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROGUE

FLORIDA MOTORCYCLIST TO
          GET SCREWED AGAIN

The Florida Legislature is in session and working on a budget that includes diverting funds, some of which clearly state that they can not be used for other purposes.
During the 2008 session of the legislature the fee for motorcycle licenses were increased saying that the money would be used for education. My self and others were against this because no one had explained how the money previously collected was being used and why an increase was needed.
Now there is a bill before the legislature FL HB 5007A: Proposes Changes: Motorcycle License Taxes: Florida Motorcycle Safety Program.

Current Situation: Currently, s. 320.08(1)(c), F.S., provides that for each motorcycle registered in Florida, a $2.50 motorcycle safety education fee is collected and deposited into the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund. These funds are used EXCLUSIVELY to fund motorcycle driver improvement programs implemented pursuant to s. 322.025, F.S., or the Florida Motorcycle Safety Education Program. This program was established in 1989 to provide motorcycle safety courses in Florida

PROPOSED CHANGES: The bill amends s. 320.08, F.S., to allow the $2.50 education fee to fund motorcycle driver improvement program and the general operations of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. This bill also amends s. 322.0255, F.S. to eliminate certain potential reimbursements from the Department to motorcycle course providers.

That means they are taking the money and Not Putting It Back! I also suspect that the motorcycle rider courses will look to raise their fee for their courses because of this and since in 2008 the Florida Legislature made it mandatory to take one of their courses motorcyclist will be screwed again.
Traffic fines will increase across the board by $10 and speeding fines will increase by $25. New reports from the Federal Government say that speed is only a small factor in crashes. One thing for sure though it is a money maker for the cities and state and is expected to raise $15 million this year and $60 million next year in Florida, a move that will spare the state courts system more cuts.
The Florida Legislators gave themselves a raise, free health care and party at the expense of taxpayers.
Governor Charlie Crist charged $430,000 for a trip to Europe in 2008 taking more than two dozen state employees, a photographer, and nine bodyguards.
The list goes on and on how legislators spend taxpayer money while wanting the citizens to continue to give up benefits and services. If they want to balance the budget they should start by setting an example by stopping waste in government.
Hopefully the motorcycle riders of Florida will say: Enough Is Enough. Start by contacting your legislator and telling them - To Vote No! on FL HB 5007A
That money is collected to promote motorcycle safety and should not be used for any other purpose.

ROGUE

BadDawg

:cry: Politicians are the same in every state.   Screw the taxpayer.  Take care of me. 

Flat Dog

Rogue,

since you have such a great reach and influence with the various publications you are a part of, why not talk with a few people about a ride on Tally to tell orange charlie (he used to use that self tanning crap all the time, thus the orange chuck moniker) what we think of this prejudicial legislation trend?

Barking about it in front of our monitors gets us nothing.

Lobbying to our employees may get an ear.

CndUltra88

Question, How do you know when your Elected Official is Lieing to you?
I am sure we know the answer to this one...
When it is time to vote, Do your Duty and VOTE damit thats the only way they will listen.
As a Canadian I cant tell you what to do or not to do, but sure can add fuel to the fire ;)
It wont be long before some  polatician #$% here sees what other elected officilas are doing to raise revenues and it will be here .... and there isnt a thing I can do to vote for or against their wild ideas on the issue.
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

ROGUE

I have sent the word out to numerous publications, groups and indivuals.
I ride to Tally is definately being discussed but doubt enough people can make it with one day notice to make a good showing.
Even if people were able to get to Tally tomorrow it probably would not do much good as the boys have already made some backroom deals.
BOLT (Bikers Of Lesser Tolerance) are looking to do a ride in the future and when it is finalized I will post info on it.
  We are expecting more bad legislation submitted in 2009 which may even be mandatory helmet laws.
During the 2008 legislative session mandatory motorcycle training was passed, increases in licensing fees and even a attempt to consficate motorcycles for speeding.
Bolt concentrated on beating the consfication law and was sucessfull in that but not the increase in fines and some other parts of that bill.
The sponsor of the bill said he had the endorsement of ABATE of Florida.
ABATE of Florida also assured its membership the increase in fees would not pass or mandatory schools but they did.
It is up to the riders of Florida to contact their legislators and let them know their position on theses issues and not let a small group speak for them.
Get as much information as you can from any of the Motorcycle Rights Groups and use that information to make a decision on what is right for you and yours.

Flat Dog

January 13, 2009, 09:38:35 AM #5 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:40:12 AM by Photo John
Wow-WTF is going on with Florida ABATE?

Thanks much for the info, Rogue!!!

Off to write to my deaf reps.

ROGUE

ROGUE

HDRDR

Flat Dog

Looks like no one is up for a ride on Charlie's house. Crap...not good.

I've always wondered about how to lobby. After I get some photo work cleared up and get back from New England, I may find out...