May 09, 2024, 02:36:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Arizona ride what time of year is best?

Started by Reddog74usa, January 13, 2009, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I'm lookin to ride Az,, Co. and NM this year and don't want to do it in aug. Is april may or sept. oct. better? I believe the storms are hittin in sept. and oct. I do want to include Co in this trip with independance pass and others included as well. I have friends in Platville just north of Denver and also south of Denver then over on the western slope in Palisade Co. I also want to take in Jerome Grand Canyon and the superstions. Don't know much about NM but who cares I'll be in the wind. Thanks in advance,RD
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Erichill

Azgunner

I would shoot for April/May for Az. The weather will be more stable than in Sept./Oct. & it shouldn't be cookin' hot yet. Only problem may be some of the Mountain passes in Colorado still being snowed out in April/May. Or you could come to Az. thru Utah. I have to admit I think Utah is more magnificent for its scenery than Az. is.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Reddog74usa

Yep I agree UT is nice. Theres a road that runs north east out of Moab that takes you out to 70 then I run that into Grand Junction. Man that road is killer great. UT. is a great option and close by Az.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

HIPPO

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 13, 2009, 05:15:37 PM
Yep I agree UT is nice. Theres a road that runs north east out of Moab that takes you out to 70 then I run that into Grand Junction. Man that road is killer great. UT. is a great option and close by Az.

No, nothing special. The river road from Moab to I70 is much better.

From the N rim of the Grand Canyon you  go N for a bit and then take the road to the E that follows the ridge line all the way to Moab passing through a bunch of National Parks.

Reddog74usa

Yep That river road from Moab to I-70 is the one I'm talkin about. Been on it many times and it never disapoints.  :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

RoadKingTrooper

For Colo. and Independence pass, I remember last year riding down from Colo. Spgs the end of May and hitting snow (lite) outside Walsenburg, then rain all the way to Taos for Red River. No set date for opening Independence, depends on CDOT and snow they have to move. They don't plow in the winter. Usually try to have it open by Memorial day, but don't always get it done.
RKT

Reddog74usa

Thanks RKT. I know trying to beat the heat of Az and being able to ride the passes in the Rockys is hard to do. We once rode Independance Pass then went on to Four corners and turned back there from our initial destination of the Grand Canyon due to the heat.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 13, 2009, 05:59:52 PM
I know trying to beat the heat of Az and being able to ride the passes in the Rockys is hard to do.

That's sure the truth.  When it's nice at those passes it will be hot here.  But I would also shoot for April/May in Arizona.  May can get hot, but the early part of the day will be pretty nice.  I don't know too much about those mountain passes, but I remember running into 25F weather in Idaho in June one year.  Sept in Arizona tends to still be very hot.  October is a toss up... could go either way.

-Craig

HIPPO

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 13, 2009, 05:59:52 PM
Thanks RKT. I know trying to beat the heat of Az and being able to ride the passes in the Rockys is hard to do. We once rode Independance Pass then went on to Four corners and turned back there from our initial destination of the Grand Canyon due to the heat.

Not that hard. Even in the heat of summer once you get out of Phoenix and get up on the rim it's nice. I really like riding CO in the middle of summer.

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the replies. This is a vacation / scouting trip as I'm looking to get off the east coast and into a warmer climate. Co is awsome but the winters are a bit to cold even in Grand Juction. Actually the winters are not all that long here in Maryland but I'm tired of the rock salt and the whole winter deal. I have been to Az several times before and do know about the heat. It's like summer is your down time but I think I could handle that. I liked north and west of Phoneix but want to stay away from the south end of the state. If I move out there I'm sure to miss the green and small town personality of the area I live in
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Joncin

I'm lazy. I like to ride in a tshirt and jeans without having to layer up in a bunch of gear for a lot of temperature change. lol

While there's no "Down" riding season in Arizona, my favorite time of the year riding is actually summertime. I can be out of the heat and into the mountains in about 1 1/2 hours, while winter time riding relegates me to the southern flatlands. Spring and fall can a crapshoot either way.

The key is to riding in the summer is to get an early start and be in the mountains by 9 or 10am and either spend the night somewhere or come home late to beat the afternoon sun.

I think if I were moving to AZ and didn't have to be in Phx for a job, I would consider living somewhere in the middle of the state like Payson, Prescott, or Globe.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

NtoBoris

Reddog,

A few years ago, I got caught in snow in Santa Fe/Taos Area in mid-May. I like to ride in NM late May to early June. I don't mind riding in a little cool weather at altitude.

NtoBoris

Dakota

Go to Zion National Park in SW Utah.  Prettier than any place we've been.  Then ride hwy 12 in Utah. North of Escalante it's straight down on both sides with no guard rails and you're a long way up when you get there!!!!  That'll make you pucker quick :smilep:  My wife wouldn't even get off her bike after that  stretch!
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

V24me

If you are really going to Az to think about a move, I would actually go in July or August.  The riding through Co and Utah and even Az on the rim or near Sedona and the Canyon would be great.  And it would be the best time to make it down to the Phoenix Valley to see if you want to live there (at the worst time of year).  You know most of the year You'll like the weather better than back east, but you need to check out the summer.

I lived in the East Valley from 1983 until 1994 and the summers are brutal.  I have family, friends and girlfriends that keep trying to get me to move back, but I'll put up with Minnesota winters instead of Az summers.  (No offense to you Az residents) I loved everything else about living there.

Have a good trip
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!