April 27, 2024, 03:28:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Insurance rate reduced

Started by Panzer, January 13, 2009, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

If you completed a motorcycle safety course within the last year, notify your insurance co., for a rate decrease.
All they want is proof of your safety course card (or documentation) saying you passed along with your insurance policy number.
A call to them first to make sure you qualify (no reason why not) for a reduction in rate and any particulars.
With the economy the way it is, why not try it, better $$$ in your pocket then in theirs.
Worked for me!!
Just a heads up.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

MrClean

Unless something has changed in the past few years, State Farm will not give you a break if you take a Motorcycle Safety Course.

But it still would not hurt to ask.
These are the facts according to my opinions.

Coyote

Correct. State Farm told me they didn't care.

Panzer

January 14, 2009, 09:11:55 AM #3 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:39:54 PM by Panzer
    Figures  :emsad:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

jd8181

i switched to progressive acouple a year ago and then never said anything about the safety course.
how much does a course run?? i know here in indiana i just showed up and took a riding test given by abate (i've been riding dirt bikes for 10 year, so the test was easy other than it was 30 degrees and spitting snow) and they gave me a piece of paper to take to the bmv and they added the "m".
indiana you can either take the class or just show up on a saturday and take a riding test for $10. are other states the same way??
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

Panzer

Here in Pa., no charge............shhhhhhhhhh

zj1182

January 14, 2009, 06:50:21 PM #6 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:52:56 PM by zj1182
In NH you can either take the State course (Fri night and all day Sat and Sunday) using small supplied bikes, pass, get a slip, and go to the DMV to get a MC endorsement, OR ride your own bike and take the state test on the test paths laid out with painted lines and cones in the DMV parking lot.  You pass the State course by doing the same paint and cone defined test paths as in the DMV parking lot, but you practice them many times until you can do them easily.  After looking at the test paths both in the State course lots and the DMV lot test paths, I believe the DMV ones are much tighter, i.e. harder to get through w/o a problem.  I've ridden the DMV test paths on a Sunday morning for grins and you have to pay attention to get through them, especially the S turns.  I don't believe a beginning rider could get a HD through them.  I've seen many try and fail.  Many folks in NH borrow a smaller more maneuverable bike for the DMV test.

The State course costs about $175 if I remember.  If you take the test at the DMV, you have to be careful to either have the once in a lifetime 30 Day learner's permit, or have someone else ride your bike to the DMV, as they won't let you take the test if they think you rode to it w/o a learner's permit.

Pretty clear to me that once you get your endorsement you never let it lapse even if you move from state to state and/or stop riding for a while.  A friend who had ridden a lot years ago but stopped and forgot to continue his endorsement when he moved to a different state bought a Road King, had me ride it to the DMV for his test...AND DIDN'T PASS. What a pain.  Of course, I was very sensitive to his embarrassment, and never said a word to him, his wife, his friends, relatives, neighbors, and strangers...ya know, LOL!!

zj

apendejo

I am not even gonna ask my insurance co. I don't want to give them any funny ideas. I have held a mc endorsement since 1971, took a bunch of AMA rider courses when I was in the Army back in the 70's
Oh,btw, I am paying right at $350 a year with National General, full coverage on my "03 Ultra. That includes $1000 bucks equipment coverage too(helmets, jackets etc.)
AP

Midnight Toker

I wish I could afford insurance, I just ride and hope for the best. I know it will probably get me one day, but you do all you can do.
Something witty placed here.

harleyjt

Quote from: jd8181 on January 14, 2009, 12:37:20 PM
i switched to progressive acouple a year ago and then never said anything about the safety course.
how much does a course run?? i know here in indiana i just showed up and took a riding test given by abate (i've been riding dirt bikes for 10 year, so the test was easy other than it was 30 degrees and spitting snow) and they gave me a piece of paper to take to the bmv and they added the "m".
indiana you can either take the class or just show up on a saturday and take a riding test for $10. are other states the same way??

Progressive does not offer a discount.  I checked when I switched to over to them last year.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Flat Dog

Ditto that.

Dairyland offers a discount, but if you ever file a claim, good luck with that...

They all suck somehow, but at least the big names won't screw you out of the PIP coverage you pay for. Well, not all the time...

Wait-they are all thieving bastages. Never mind.

underwriter

every state is different.  I am an agent in Georgia.  Most companies here will give you a discount if you have taken a safety course within 3 years.  Progressive does not give a discount but they are considering a discount. 

apendejo

Quote from: apendejo on January 15, 2009, 07:41:55 PM
Back in the early 90's I had ----- Ins. on my Dyna. Some dooftard rear ended me at a red light. He did not have any insurance. I had to pay my $200 deductible to bail my bike out of the HD shop after it was repaired. They replaced all my stuff with like new takeoffs from another Dyna they had including the tinwork(same color). It worked out sweet, I ended up with a nice healthy store credit(you figure it out, hint, the ins. co paid for new parts.)and after ----- Ins. got thru with the guy that hit me I got a check for my deductible in the mail. They did not jack my rate immediately, they waited about 6 months. I dropped them and went with my current carrier.
AP

marc

I have Rider Insurance here in NJ and you get a discount for taking the MSF course...Just send them a copy of the certificate...