May 08, 2024, 02:37:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR Rear Fenders

Started by Buddy WMC, January 14, 2009, 04:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy WMC

Guys,

I can get a great deal on a new paint job from a local professional who is slow at the moment. My current ride a 1993 FXLR has a plastic mud guard riveted to the front of the rear fender. I picked up a used HD rear fender in good condition on ebay, however it is not fitted with or drilled to accomodate those rivets. Otherwise, the fender seems to match other than it needs to be repainted. I purchased a new plastic mud guard from HD.

Can anyone direct me in how to tell if this fender will work or how to tell any difference? I do not want to have it painted and later find out that it does not fit. I also could use some guidance in how to disconnect the wiring for the directionals and tail light as they will be reused.

92Fatty

As for wiring my 92 fatboy there was a plugin for the tail light so that was no problem. But on my signals there were not any plugs, they were wired solid to light. I was in the process of changing them out so i just cut and resoldered new lights on after. As for the fender does it look like the fender has been filled in in the rivet location? My fender had these rivets also. I would measure several times each fender if you can't find any part numbers on it. Got any pics of the new fender? Kent

baldoldfxr

The best way to change the wiring is to get the tool for releasing the terminals from the connector blocks, CCI etc do them quite cheap. I would advise drawing the blocks & where the wires go into them beforehand as its easy to get wrong,

Buddy WMC

Fatty,
The used fender was never drilled for the rivets. It's quite difficult to get any measurements with one on the bike and one off. Specially true with the plastic mud guard attached to the current fender and none on the spare. Otherwise they seem to look the same with the exception of a rounded out hole that I can weld up.

Baldy.
We had planned to mark the wiring upon disassembly no matter what. My HD service manual shows a single plug connector  for everything, I'm not sure exactly where it is located on the bike to take a looksee.