April 27, 2024, 07:03:35 AM

News:

Trany fitment

Started by exfed12825, October 14, 2011, 01:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exfed12825

October 14, 2011, 01:49:17 PM Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:01:56 PM by exfed12825
Fergy1940 has a trany for a 1980 to 84 FLT. Will it fit my 84 FXWG? with a little or a lot of work. I'm building a new swing arm to run a 200 x 18 rear with chain final drive and I'm trying to find a nice 3" belt drive and I'm wondering if I'll be able to bolt this thing up. I can change the frame mounts if needed, I have a TIG welder.   :scratch:   Answer Please  :fish:
Motorcycle...Motorcycle...Motorcycle...
                  Crap still here

billbuilds

Sorry, no. They're two entirely different animals. The FLT is a rubbermount case, rear swingarm pivot shaft goes thru the back of it. If you want to add a gear your FXWG needs a 5 in 4 case that has the notch to clear the swingarm on your frame. It's solid mount like your 4 speed. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

easyricer

the tranny itself, can fit with your clutch, but the case is too different. You can order a 5in a 4 case and use the guts. Just too much metal to hack away and the mounts to built will be a massive undertaking, by any welder, then you would still have to send it to the machine shop to be planed and get the studs installed. It's all metal, so yes it can be done but it's just way too much work for a product that is available in most catalogs.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!