KuryAkyn Hyperchargers... do you like them ??

Started by bouncingVman, January 14, 2009, 07:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncingVman

January 14, 2009, 07:46:53 AM Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:01:53 AM by bouncingVman
Or are they a PITA.  :teeth: Inquiring minds want to know....  :potstir:

I'm looking for a different air cleaner for a Road King Classic. These tend to come up everywhere I look.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/img_pop.jsp?skuId=H30093&imgId=0

I'm not too keen for the idea of drilling and tapping my induction module to supply a vacuum line to operate the little butterflies. I was hoping someone would chime in and mention what they like or dislike about the product ??
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

miwhite

I don't know what PIA stands for, but I think that the hypercharger is a POS.

My experience with it: Hypercharger was installed on an Evo. For various reasons, it was necessary to remove the butterfly/flapper and plug the vacuum needed to operate it. The net result was a performance improvement with no flapper and the vaccum plugged.

takwolf

I know I'll get crap for this, but, I think the key word here is "Hype". They may breathe slightly better than stock, like almost every aftermaket filter. As far as the induction thing, you won't get any extra air pushing in till about 80 mph. I think they look cool, but if you want performance, there are cheaper routes.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

Six Blues

If you're doing it for looks, then go ahead. If you're expecting a noticible performance increase, you'll probably be disappointed. I've talked with 3 or 4 guys with them, and they all told me they didn't experience any performance change.

bouncingVman

January 14, 2009, 08:29:18 AM #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:05:08 AM by bouncingVman
miwhite,

meant to say PITA (Pain in the A*s)...  They look cool... I must admit that... and thats the appeal.  :pop:

They ain't too cheap. I can see a person foregoing the butterflies altogether and not drilling the vacuum line at all... or figuring out a way to lock the butterfies open all the time.  I could also see the filter element getting full of holes from road debris. I think they use an oiled K&N filter. Then there is the question of the breathers leading back through the induction module. I'd probably like to vent to atmosphere.
"Todd"

calif phil

There is nothing wrong with the Hyperchargers. They will perform fine and I think they come with a MAP sensor adapter now and you do not have to drill into the intake. If you like the looks go for it. 

Ape_do

IMHO, it's a RUB trinket. No self-respecting motor-head would ever have it on their bike.

Having said that, I fear I just upset a lot of people 'cause I see them everywhere. No offense intended. I say this in the spirit of helping a brother out, just as I would point out toilet paper stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe.  :wink:

Ride safe.

bouncingVman

January 14, 2009, 10:06:14 AM #7 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:16:44 AM by bouncingVman
Ape_do, Thanks for your honest opinion.... and also the chuckle.  :teeth:

Maybe it would be better if I spray paint it wrinkle black.  :smilep: Actually I was thinking about doing that because the only one that fits my bike is chrome.

The more I think about it... the less I think I will go this route.

"Todd"

JamLazyAss

"IMHO, it's a RUB trinket. No self-respecting motor-head would ever have it on their bike."

You saved me some typing...
Couldn't agree more  :down:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

hrdtail78

With the big slotted holes in the back, how could it work.
Semper Fi

Sonny S.

Quote from: Ape_do on January 14, 2009, 09:07:11 AM
IMHO, it's a RUB trinket. No self-respecting motor-head would ever have it on their bike.

Having said that, I fear I just upset a lot of people 'cause I see them everywhere. No offense intended. I say this in the spirit of helping a brother out, just as I would point out toilet paper stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe.  :wink:

Ride safe.
Quote from: JamLazyAss on January 14, 2009, 10:13:10 AM
"IMHO, it's a RUB trinket. No self-respecting motor-head would ever have it on their bike."

You saved me some typing...
Couldn't agree more  :down:

gettin easier.......... :down:

redrokit8

That's because a self respecting motor-head would have "the motor" and not just the "cover".
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

bouncingVman

The motor I have. Just looking for a replacement for the shelled-out swap meet cover that I have on my air cleaner now... that and I'm looking ahead for the day when I won't be able to get the K&N 4 bolt air filter for MM anymore. I figure the day is coming.... who knows when? Then I'll have to change air cleaners or figure something else out. No big deal just throwing some ideas around.

Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the honest opinions...

:teeth:

"Todd"