May 08, 2024, 06:17:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Changing wheels myself for new tire mounting & bearing pack

Started by flhs90, January 14, 2009, 11:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evo riders:

I want to have my new Dunlop 402's mounted. The rear Metzler is wearing down.

I also have the service manual so I can probably read and follow the directions.

Is this something I can accomplish myself and save some money as well as learn  to better understand the harley or better left to an indy shop.

What are reasonable estimates to dismount front and rear t?ires, inspect bearings, grease bearings?
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

tinkerman

If you have done a bit of mechanical work before it shouldn't be a problem.

You need a way of elevating the bike in a secure fashion either one end at a time or preferably both ends. (MAKE SURE IT IS SECURE)

You need a few basic tools. Take it apart using the manual, lay the parts out as it comes apart, (keep any shims if you have them in order). You can wedge a bit of something in between the pads on your calipers to ensure someone doesn't come along and give one of the brakes a squeeze. Hook the seals out and your in business. Reverse process. (Make sure that bike can't fall over)

As for estimates, I would be guessing. Here in Eastern Canada, indy shop??? If you buy the tires there the mounting and balancing should be somewhere between free and $25 dollars each end. The seals and bearings, (seeing as the wheels are off) another hour X the hourly rate. I'm just guessing, I do most of my own work. If I had to mount new tires back and front and check bearings and replace seals it would take me a morning, minimum 4 hours. I don't rush at it as it only happens every season or two.

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

darrelbarrows

my indy here in michigan charges $35 to mount, balance, clean, inspect and repack bearings and new seals if you take him the wheel assy.

flhs90

Thanks John S, Tinkerman and Darrelbarrows:

I was able to do the work myself, took a little more than the 4 hours, but working nice and slow, problem solving along the way.
Learned a lot more about the bike. Could do it the next time almost in my sleep.
Tires seem to be something to replace every 5-10 K miles depending on rider, roads, etc.

Cost from a great indy Pat Harris here in Toledo, Oregon was $65 total for 2 mounts, dismounts, static balance, 4 bearing repacks by hand.
He did a great job.  My goal was to save a few dimes, learn as much as possible about the 90 flhs, get some new safer rubber under me.

The local opinion here is the Dunlop 402's are better for the wet road conditions here west of the Coastal Mountains. Seems everybody has a bias one way or the other, like the oils.

Dave :rtfb:

1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

darrelbarrows

nothing like the feeling of working and learning on your own bike :smiled:

tinkerman

Right On,

Glad you dug into it yourself.

I have only been running a HD for five years or so. Before that, older brit bikes, and jap stuff over the years.

This forum has shortened my HD learning curve by a factor of five. You can always drop a note here to get a heads up on things and some opinions before you come up with your own game plan. Some really good HD mechanical types here and a good bunch of folks overall.

The self sufficient biking breed are getting few and far between. I have always enjoyed being able to do my own wrench work. Not sure what it is? $$?, Independance?, Just knowing what makes it tick I think.

In any case, enjoy the ride and keep asking questions,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003