April 27, 2024, 03:09:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Adaptive Knock Retard

Started by 05Train, October 18, 2011, 02:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Train

Quote from: lonewolf on October 24, 2011, 03:12:14 PM
Quote from: 05Train on October 24, 2011, 03:10:05 PM
More explosions up front this afternoon. 
Are you sure they are real?
Yes, I can hear them.  I was having phantom detonation prior to the plug change, this is the real deal.

FWIW, my air filter was filthy, so that could certainly be reducing the effective VE, it's just odd that the rear runs so much stronger.
2005 Vivid Black Night Train - Lots 'o black
'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

I did two decent VTune runs today.  Pretty much everything is stable except for the high MAP areas from 3750 on up, which I'm gonna need to head back to the mountains to get.  There were a couple corrections to the good in my trouble spots, a little lower in a few other areas.  I'm consistently getting a cell or two in the low 80s, surrounded by cells in the 70s, but I'm not terribly concerned by that.

Weather permitting, I'll do a few more VTunes this week, with a monster day of tuning and timing next weekend in the WV mountains.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

N-gin

I could not open your v tune file so with that in mind. Have you checked your fuel in the area were you are pulling timing in the front cylinder? Maybe you need more?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

05Train

Quote from: N-gin on November 13, 2011, 10:51:23 AM
I could not open your v tune file so with that in mind. Have you checked your fuel in the area were you are pulling timing in the front cylinder? Maybe you need more?
Tried that, it runs fat when I do that.  I've just steadily reduced timing to the point where it runs right.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

FLTRI

FWIW,
There is something wrong if there is more than a couple degs between front and rear ignition timing.
I would get that figured out first, then on to tune.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

05Train

Quote from: FLTRI on November 13, 2011, 02:58:48 PM
FWIW,
There is something wrong if there is more than a couple degs between front and rear ignition timing.
I would get that figured out first, then on to tune.
Bob
Define "wrong".  The rear is rarely more than 4 degrees further advanced than the front, except for this bizarre shelf I have from 2750-3250 starting at 55 kPa where there's as much as a 12 degree difference.  The VEs are close there, and 55kPa is the last cell I'm in closed-loop (though 3500 at 55 kPa is closed-loop as well, and the issue doesn't manifest itself there).

'12 FLHTCUSE7

05Train

Rode in today and made a few changes to the map.  I dropped the 55 kPa column from 2500-3500 to .977 Lambda (from .981), and I removed that weird timing "shelf", lowering it at 55 & 60 kPa to be more consistent with everything around it.  Then I bumped up the 3000 & 3250 timing at 55 & 60 kPa. 

Bike ran good this morning in 50 degree air with no audible detonation.  Then again, this was Beltway commuting, not blasting through the mountains.

I'll datalog something on the ride home.  I'm wondering if that shelf was confusing MyTune, and it was just pulling timing all around the area.
'12 FLHTCUSE7

FLTRI

Just curious as to how and why there was such a huge timing difference between the 2 cyls...in that particular area??
That's just not right. No good reason for that strategy AFAIK.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

05Train

There's a good reason.....I'm a moron.

I've been using MyTune to get the timing tables fixed.  In my excitement to use the software, I made a crucial data entry error....

Frank, the guy who wrote the MyTune software, PM'd me today while I was riding and said that the software couldn't be tripped up by that "shelf" that I had, therefore the problem had to be with the ECM.  The ECM's fine, which means it had to be the data.  After my second run, the results were getting worse again, so I really took a look at what changes were being made.

And then I remembered GIGO. 

Holy crap, I'd just been loading my .dm3 files without re-copying the starting timing after every run.  I ASSumed that when I copied over the new timing tables that the software was resetting them as the current tables after each run.  It doesn't (of course), so all I was doing was degrading the tune, while not running MyTune with the current starting point.

So, long story short, I'm a moron.

I've gone back to the first MyTune run I did back in September (since everything after that is all but worthless), pasted those tables into my current map with the revised VEs I've collected since, and loaded that back into the bike.  Friday's supposed to be dry, so hopefully I'll get a chance to try again.
'12 FLHTCUSE7