May 04, 2024, 12:31:57 AM

News:

Wider tire?

Started by IN SEARCH OF, January 14, 2009, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IN SEARCH OF

Hey guys, question. Have a 99 Softail Custom. Stock frame. Has stock tire size on it now. Can I put a wider rear 16" tire on this thing without frame changes / modifications? Do they make a (less wide) rear belt to accomodate a wider tire? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

IN SEARCH OF

Bump.......come on guys, somebody out there should know this one...thanks

Bucket

I am running a 140 on a 98 softail custom with no problems  Avon and metzeler are good to go.

JBarrettB

I would suggest the Dunlop D402 MU85. Or a Dunlop E3 MU90. Either of these will fit without issue and are noticeably wider.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

bluerim

I'm looking at the J&P catalogue. If your belt is 1 1/2 inch 130 tooth belt, there is a 1 1/8 " belt available for wide tire applications.
You need to actually measure an inflated tire unless you know for sure. Why? because a 140 tire may not be 140 mm wide, depending on the brand.
you may find a 140 tire that is about 145 mm wide. Thats been my experience . My advice is look for a bike with a 140 tire and get out the tape measure. Check the tire brand. If you have more room under the fender and with a narrower belt you may be able to put a different brand 140 tire that in actuality is as I said above, larger than expected.
I know of a few guys running a 150 tire in an early twin cam bagger frame.  There are issues with fender nuts going this big. You may also need to consider this.   Cut the bolt heads down and reverse the bolt with the nut to the outside if this applies to you. Also watch your wiring for rubbing, especially if you have a lowering kit.
No pro just another reader. Hope this helps.

jsachs1

Here's the way I've done it for years.I use a Conti TOUR 140/16" tire.I've found them to be the widest 140 tires available.
The MoCo rear tires aren't centered in the rear fender(stock).
I mill .090" off the rear caliper hanger on the SWING ARM side.
I make a .090" spacer to move the belt sprocket to the left side of the wheel.
I make a new wheel spacer .090" wider than stock for the left side of the wheel.
What has been done is:
You have moved the wheel to the right(.090"),spaced the sprocket,so it was where it origanally was,and took up the .090" spacer deficit on the left side of the wheel.This actually puts the wheel in the center of the fender as well.  :up:
John  :wink:

stroker800

The new bikes are running a 200 tire with a 1" belt,,,,My softail is a custom build with a 200 and the swingarm is the same width as 99 up softail..I don't know if the swingarms got wider in 99,,,but the Santee frame I have will take a 180 with a belt,,so like I said I went 200 with a chain...I believe the frender struts are the problem,,,saw them off and install a strutless rear fender and go to a 180.
Dave