April 27, 2024, 09:28:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

97" axtell build

Started by 64heritage, January 14, 2009, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64heritage

Hi All -long time reader but my first post. Your all smart so any help would be appreciated., Thinking of doing a build on a 93 heritage using axtell 97 inch kit-would be my cases (bored) -stock flywheel -axtells cylinders and pistons-either S/E heads or stock heads reworked (have both) Mikuni 42 carb-anybody have any experiance with this kit-what cam would be a good choice ,Ignition,what kind of numbers would this get me to, want to do about 90/90 ft/lbs- Hpr- thanks all and any comments would be helpfull!!

stroker800

Just outta curiousity was would the bore be?,,,I don't if you could bore large enoughto get 97" with a stock stroke...If so there won't be much material left....I wouldn't do it with stock cases if it were me.....just my .02 cents.
Dave

64heritage

the kit say the bore is 3 13/16 and you use your stock stroke to achieve 97"-was hoping some one had used this kit before to answer questions about weather stock cases could handle it or not thanks for the reply

86SFWG

I have a 97" motor, mispoke on another post said it was 96". Can't answer your question on the cases, I replaced mine with a Delkron, Axtell steel cylinders, flat top pistons, ported heads, 1.90 intakes, highlift springs, w6h cam (.590 lift), Mikuni 42, Stock head pipes with Screaming Eagle slash cut mufflers with modified baffles, Dynatek ignition. My dyno run was 96.5 HP, 106.5 TQ, torque starts around 18-2000 @ 95 so it ramps up quick. Those Dyno numbers are a little low, after some additional tweaking the power felt much stronger but at least those are on a sheet. I had to replace my case anyway but was told that the stock case may not hold up, I had '86 cases which were considered among the best EVO cases. Good luck, this is a great motor, has plenty of bottom end and you are ready to shift @ 5500 cause you think you are ready to shift but it will go to 6500. A real blast to ride, 5th gear roll-ons are outstanding never need to downshift. 

Evo160K

I have the axtell 3-13/16 dished pistons, axtell cylinders with Nikasil coating, SE heads and SE-57 cam in an STD case.  I wouldn't use the stock case under any circumstances, wouldn't be enough material left, like stroker800 said.  Axtell is a very good company, I dealt with Chaz and Ron.

Buddy WMC

Evo 160K,

Thinking of going the same way you did using the Ultima 3 3/16" cases and the Revolution Performance cylinders and pistons. I work for a Rev dealer, so the kit is not a problem. I also have ported SE heads decked .010 to stay at 72cc's after the chambers were finished.

What is your CR with the SE heads and the dished pistons? I want to stay at 10.5 to 1 or so, same as where I'm at now with the 85" kit and CP flat tops.

Hillside Motorcycle

90/90 can be had with an 80" engine.
We have done quite a few of the Evo "Mountain Motor" set-ups.
As simple as an EV-27, or a Bob Wood 6. 95-100 hp and north of 105 ft/lbs.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rdkng

As an alternative, you could do an 89 inch stroker kit and not have to bore
your cases.  Stock bore with 4 5/8th stroke for good torque.
rdkng   
Happy Motoring, Road King George

Rugby_fxdwg

I wouldnt think the stock EVO cases could handle being bored to handle the 3-13/16" I have a set of Patrick racing cylinders for my 1996 WG but thought the cases would crack.... Am I wrong on this...
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Evo160K

Buddy,

It's 9.3.  I was wanting the strongest case I could find with a reasonable CR for longevity.

64heritage

Thanks for the replys- in my state MN ( coolder than a witchs @#$ today -20)if i change the engine i have to retitle and dont want to do that.
Hey Hillside would like more onfo on your mountain motor kits  would be greatly appreciated. Trying to do this on a reasonable budget so any other ideas on a killer build would also be appreciated
   Thanks all

Hillside Motorcycle

The Mountain Motor kits are what Axtell calls them.
Feel free to contact us.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buddy WMC

Hillside Scott,

What cam would you recommend with such a build using ported SE heads? My heads flow the best (about 240) at .585 lift. Currently running a V-Thunder 5015 at .595 lift and she pulls like a frieght train, but is a little soft down below 2800. Revolution 85" kit at 10.5 to 1 with the SE heads at 72cc's, Dyna 2000 ignition set on curve #2. HP curve climbs steadily to 98.6 and falls off at 5800 when the S&S E goes fat. Torque curve stays fairly flat from the hit to 95.3, all nine pulls performed on the Dynojet were from the hit to 100mph in 4th gear. The rev imiter is set at 6K and I haven't hit it yet.

Thanks, Buddy....

Hillside Motorcycle

With a tick more squeeze, a Wood 8 should work great.

Buddy WMC

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on January 17, 2009, 04:06:33 AM
With a tick more squeeze, a Wood 8 should work great.

Scott,
Thanks I just happen to have a friend with a shop on out East Coast that has one in stock price is right. I'll probably need to order the CP piston set special from Revolution Performance. What CR would you like to see with my 72cc SE heads?
Thanks again,
Buddy...

Hillside Motorcycle

January 18, 2009, 01:48:25 PM #15 Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:55:51 PM by Hillsidecyclecom
Wood 8 at 10.7-10.8 static. Have worked with that cam since 1997.
We have those cams also, as we are Bob Wood's #1 account worldwide, again, in 2008. :wink:

Buddy WMC

Scott,
Thanks pal we used to be in Rochester (ARV Custom Cycle), been in Florida since 1982. Went back to work last year part time here at Choppers Spirit Inc., after retiring. I still enjoy spinning wrenches and building engines.

catmcaw

Anybody know if Axtell 97" (3 13/16) cylinders can be bored to 100" (3 7/8) without problems?

Hillside Motorcycle