May 08, 2024, 11:34:36 PM

News:

OT - Barrett-Jackson in Phx

Started by still_on2_wheels, January 14, 2009, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

still_on2_wheels

Just sitting back watching the cars rolling off the auction block on the SPEED channel. Some cheap prices, some unexpected high dollar items. I have tics for Sat, it's always a great place to watch wheels and people.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

HV

I just saw a WC Chopper go for $15,000
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Panzer

Still,
Just don't wave to anybody, you might end up in the poor house. :crook:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

kybagger

How many are like me and go holly sh## when ya see a car go for $$$$ that you once owned/or the same mode should I say.

Midnight Toker

Yes sir, I love to watch those Barrett-Jackson auctions. Some truly supreme choice rides on auctions there. It’s what dreams are made of.
Something witty placed here.

seattledyna

it was funny to see the little Isetta go for 45k and that 58 Bentley go for 21 thousand, lol

those 80s vettes were flying out the door foe pennies on the dollar also

Ultrashovel

January 14, 2009, 10:58:08 PM #6 Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:48:18 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: HV® on January 14, 2009, 06:26:44 PM
I just saw a WC Chopper go for $15,000

Right. I didn't see this thread earlier. Someone got a deal.

1JITSU1

Wish I never sold any cars I had  :cry:  Had some good cores to  :cry: :cry:
I allways need the money for the next car  :cry: :cry: :cry:  I must be doing sometin wrong  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Princess Butt

What's really funny is watching a car roll across the block at B-J, and say "Hey, I remember cutting the fenders off one of those." Or: "Wait! that's the one we built by welding two halves together!!!"

Seriously, I used to work restoring muscle and classic cars 20 years ago. Some of them were real POS, some were really good material to work with. There's a few things I learned about while doing it.

1. Be picky. Take your time buying one, you'll regret rushing into a deal.

2. If someone you know is restoring a car and it's putting a strain on their marriage, wait. Wait with some cash, and don't jump right away when they try to sell it. In a divorce situation, it's worth about $0.30 on the dollar they've invested. The closer to the court date or the settlement date for their house where they're storing it, the closer you are to buying. I watched someone pick up a Pantera for less than the guy had in the motor, it was the weekend before he was losing his house to his ex. 

3. If you're buying a completed, finished car, have someone look over the car for you. If I were buying a 60's Mustang, I'd pay the guy around the corner from me to check it out. He knows Mustangs really, really well.

I'm sure there's some other stuff, but my brain is a little cobwebbed right now.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

moose

just my opinion but I think Jackson has ruined a lot of chances for the common person to afford a classic anymore.
Moose aka Glenn-

Old Crow

Restoring old cars and building hot rods is what I do for a living.  Surprisingly enough, with the economy going into the toilet, our business is doing well.  Not sure why, but since Christmas we've had the phone ringing off the hook with people wanting to get cars to us for work.

An old addage in the business is that you can buy a completed car for a lot less money than you can build one.  Seems to be true in most cases, except possibly the customer that sold his '66 Hertz Shelby for like twice what he had in it.  Check out the website for some pics of some nice cars.   

http://www.vincesvintage.net/index.html
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

jsachs1

B-J certainally influenced prices in the hot rod market.I recall going to the Turkey rod run,year after year,with some real bargains there.
Enter B-J on television,and the market went "nuts".  :down:
This year prices at the rod run were more down to earth.  :up: Figured that B-J cars would go begging in '09.
John

4DWUDS

At $45. just to get in the door, I can't even afford to lOOk, much less buy.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

mark98012

Watch tonight (Thursday), Thursday night's are traditionally the best bang for the buck night (even the comentators say so).

Mark
Mark98012

1JITSU1

Moose you are absolutely right  % to buy % to sell