May 02, 2024, 12:37:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

94 flhtcu build

Started by darrelbarrows, January 14, 2009, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrelbarrows

to the all knowing

I ride a 94 ultra classic, backroad riding in michigan, rarely get on the highway. I want to be able to pull a trailer when needed, and 2 up riding. I have wild pig slip ons, a hypercharger air filter with a k&n, I have the bike apart now due to a smoked clutch and striped shift shaft coming home from sturgis, I am replacing all the seals through out and bearings. I am using all cometic for this and torringten for the cam.
  My question is my indy recommends the crane 310 but i have heard nothing but good thing with the woods w6 cam. I am thinking of running a .030 head gasket to get a slight bump in compression and possiably 9.5 pistons not sure on theses yet, or should i have the heads milled down a bit and save some money on the pistons. Can i get away with the stock rods if i don't have the heads milled? If not should I change to adjustables anyway. I figured while i got everything apart im going to put in new lifters and change the breather gear to a steel one. Im going to send the heads to bean to have them freshend up.
  I don't think i have ever been above 80 on this bike and don't plan on it anytime soon but i would like to get there in a hurry if the need strikes me :teeth:

so any help, suggestions, or comments any of you can offer would be great..

Hillside Motorcycle

Wood 6 or EV-27, no pistons needed unless fitment is gone.
Have a very good valve job done, and re-surface .060-.070"
Adj pushrods and new Harley lifters.
Tune and have fun.
Probably have built 75-100 of these combos. Great fuel economy, and much smoother running.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

wfolarry

darrelbarrows

darrelbarrows

If i have the heads milled and use the .030 head gasket will this cause any issues with valves coming in contact with the pistons.  When doing all this should i have better springs installed or will the stock springs work fine in this application?

Hillside Motorcycle

Always best to check clearences, especially if you have never been in this part of the pool before.
A set of Crane 1101 springs sure won't hurt.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

darrelbarrows

i have checked valve clearance before on car engines but they all had solid tappets. How would i go about checking them seeing as the bike has hydrulic lifters. what is the minimum i can have. I would assume the exhaust would be more critical as the valve and piston are coming togeather. I have heard that .075 is plenty but i was thinking more along the lines of .100 

darrelbarrows

As i am going to replace the lifters as suggested, is there a way i can lock the old lifters in the pumped up position so i can to my valve clearence check.

Hillside Motorcycle

Collapse the old ones and adjust as solids would be.
Depending on the cam, and re-surfaced heads, watch for the outside edge of the valve relief in the piston. Clear as needed.
We do that here, with in a milling machine, but a die-grinder will work at home.
Scott

darrelbarrows

January 19, 2009, 07:00:40 PM #9 Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:09:16 PM by darrelbarrows
scott,

My plan is to mill .050 off the head and run the .030 cometic head gasket. I am going to use a woods w6 cam. In your opinin do you think i will have to mill much out of the valve relief?

as always thanks for all the info given.

Hillside Motorcycle

With only .050" and the low TDC of that cam, you should be ok, BUT, you need to check with clay.
BTW, you can remove more,(more power) but your going to have to shorten the intake manifold.
Hope this helps.
Scott

seigles

get the w-6, your seat of pants will never regret it !!!

darrelbarrows

February 22, 2009, 07:18:58 AM #12 Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:55:06 AM by darrelbarrows
 :smiled:

fxr4mikey

Quote from: seigles on January 20, 2009, 04:05:34 AM
get the w-6, your seat of pants will never regret it !!!

GIDDY UP !!!!!!!
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb