News:

What Tool ?

Started by War Horse, October 28, 2011, 05:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

do I need to pull out sealed bearings in a '93 Ultra wheel ? TIA  :teeth:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

War Horse

October 28, 2011, 05:56:13 AM #1 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:58:44 AM by War Horse
Ed, I have the tool for the Timkin bearings and races, I just bought these wheels from Deye76 and they have the sealed bearing installed. I imagine he had them put in there and they are a 3/4 axle size, but the spacer is the exact size of the inner bearing and no way to get a bite on it.

BTW these appear to be about 1' long bearings.

I will replace them with the guts out of my 99, but I need to get the old ones out first.

Edit; what happened to ed-y's post ???

War Horse

Problem solved, welded up the center and knocked it out from the other side.......   :smile:

14Frisco

War Horse

Thanks Frisco, sure could have used that info  :up: I have a mig so it was no problem, I was just worried about to much direct heat on the wheel but as it turned out the wheel barely got warm.

On a side note, I couldnt run these bearings any way as I would have needed different wheel spacers, these must have come as some sort of kit. nice and beafy tho....  :nix:

Deye76

I have a tendency to use the beefy stuff in my bikes. Plus I'm lazy, if there's a minimal maintenance idea, I'll try it. Back then I had three bikes, one a panhead that needed constant attention, a/c rode it hard.
I don't remember the kit, or when I did it.  :nix: 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

War Horse

Deye, after having done some research, these bearings are for a 2000 and '01 with 3/4 axles, when they went to this bearing, spacers also needed to be for the '00+.

All worked out well the wheels are all set up and I'm waiting on tires, the OL's gonna kill me when she finds out I put it on the credit card  :cry: I just cant wait to get em on the bike, plus I'm running on wear bars now.....  :teeth:

Deye76

On the bike those wheels came off I had wheels from a 2000 (1" axle in the front) chromed and installed them, a machinist friend of mine set the front up for a 3/4" axle and sealed bearings. So the guy that bought the bike is in for surprise when he does work on them. I know him well, so I best let him know what I did.  :embarrassed:

War Horse

Yep, somebody's gonna be scratching their head alright, but the bearing you have in there shouldnt be hard to match, if they go bad he can continue to run the same set up .  :up:

I changed the wheels over to the Timken's, as that was what I had in the other wheels and the spacers and center set up is what I have to work with right now...  :teeth:

Julio

No help to pull the original bearing out, but before you replace the bearings and spacer, notch the spacer with a cutoff wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Make sure the notch is big enough to allow the drift pin to fit in it. Makes removing the sealed bearing much easier next time.  Not my idea, my Ducati's spacers came like that.

Julio

War Horse

Quote from: Julio on November 03, 2011, 03:41:00 PM
No help to pull the original bearing out, but before you replace the bearings and spacer, notch the spacer with a cutoff wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Make sure the notch is big enough to allow the drift pin to fit in it. Makes removing the sealed bearing much easier next time.  Not my idea, my Ducati's spacers came like that.

Julio

Thats a great  :idea:, so simple , um yet  :embarrassed:

Thanks  :up:

Tre_11 FLHX

Tom,
Good thing you got it figured out.  I was going to recommend that ewe use a Peace of pipe and BFH  :hyst: I learnt that techneek from under a shade tree.  :wink:

Tre'
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

War Horse

Quote from: Tre_11 FLHX on November 04, 2011, 09:08:47 AM
Tom,
Good thing you got it figured out.  I was going to recommend that ewe use a Peace of pipe and BFH  :hyst: I learnt that techneek from under a shade tree.  :wink:

Tre'

:dgust: Yeah the BFH, I coulda knocked all the bearings and spacer from one side out the other , I gots me a nice 5 pounder...... need any help fixin that front wheel Tre' ?   :hyst:

Deye76

BRRR it's gettin cold in here.  :hyst:

War Horse

Quote from: Deye76 on November 04, 2011, 03:14:28 PM
BRRR it's gettin cold in here.  :hyst:

NAH....its all in good fun, I know my sense of humor can be,um , shall we say .... German ?   :missed: