May 04, 2024, 11:55:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

METZELER TIRES

Started by Buddy WMC, January 15, 2009, 03:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy WMC

Guys,

Just a heads up, I have read several articles and posts in the past about some of the Brazilian made Metzeler tires delaminating. Well I experienced this first hand yesterday when a customer came into the shop with a 140x16 ME880 mounted on the rear of his Softy.

Although the tire looked almost new and had plenty of tread left, chunks of rubber were just lifting off and had separated from the cord. It looked as though the tire had been cut in a triangle shaped pattern in several areas and a failure was imminent. If you have them, please keep an eye on them.

darrelbarrows

had this happen to me out west this year...It came apart on me at abotu 45 mph. It looked almost like a recap does when it seperates...I went back to dunlop after that...

Bucket

I have them on my softail just looked at the rear it's made in Germany front is Brazil. The front is skinny 80/90-21 Heard anything on them....It has a tube

Buddy WMC

Bucket,
From what I have read, the Brazilian made Metzelers are the suspects and no particular sizes were defined. Since I've seen the failure first hand, mine came off this week and were replaced with an Avon Venom 140HBx16 and 90/100x19.

hrdtail78

"no particular sizes were defined"  Probably because there doesn't seem to be any standard for thier tires coming out of Brazil. :hyst:
Semper Fi