To weld or not to weld? That is the question.

Started by ricochet, November 02, 2011, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

I know we all need pictures to make a more informed call so I'll try tonight to round up a couple to add to this discussion.

I have a set of knucklehead head castings that are extra, both of which have a crack.  Rear head has a clean crack that starts at the exhaust spigot and as far as I can see it goes inward as much as about 3/4 an inch or so visibly.  It's not opened up any and no material is missing.

The front head has a hairline crack looking from the right side on the right most fin about 1.5 in from the front.  While this extends the height of the fin it does not appear to travel further in the main casting where the front rocker tab is.

First inclination is to get them welded but I've had heads welded before and the heat tends to introduce new issues with new cracks or the one there opening up some.

Short of seeing what I'm dealing with what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

ricochet

ricochet

Here's some pics of the affected areas:

ricochet

harleytoprock

For the cracked fin I would pre and post heat and flow a little braze in the crack. No strength is really needed there as the fin isn't going to fall off. Just for cosmetics brass would be the safe bet. For the cracked port, weld with a NI rod with usuall pre and post heat. How ever you could probably get away with a braze there as well  but the Ni rod would insure the crack doesn't travel.

ricochet

Thank you for the response.  There's not much traffic in the knuckle section.  This is a spare set that I had after gathering a few to select from.  I've decided to e-bay them rather than poking a stick at the snake.  The set I'm keeping had a head with a tab missing that was able to be attached rather nicely.  These two should be a good set too but I'm not wanting to put money into them at this point.  I appreciate the feedback.

ricochet

Pzokes

Some of the Flathead Ford high performance rebuild shops have been having great luck with drilling a hole at the end of the crack, to stop the crack from traveling, then doing a preheat, then doing the weld. The old Flathead Fords always cracked around the valve seats.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ricochet

I sold off all the spares on e-bay a while ago and kept the best two.  At this point one head is missing the first short fin near the plug and I think I'm going to grind it clean and leave it off rather than subject the head to welding.

ricochet

timtoolman

I would weld after drilling the crack  but watch interpass temp keep it at round 350, preheat then weld then step down temps. To relieve any weld stress build up
Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

Lew

Quote from: harleytoprock on November 06, 2011, 06:40:54 PM
For the cracked fin I would pre and post heat and flow a little braze in the crack. No strength is really needed there as the fin isn't going to fall off. Just for cosmetics brass would be the safe bet. For the cracked port, weld with a NI rod with usuall pre and post heat. How ever you could probably get away with a braze there as well  but the Ni rod would insure the crack doesn't travel.
:agree: and would also peen the weld with shot or needle gun to stress relieve.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

timtoolman

That will work also buy may cause some cosmetic damage
Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.