May 02, 2024, 02:48:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New D. Kirk Catalog

Started by 96flhpi, January 15, 2009, 07:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96flhpi

Got one the other day and couldn't help but notice that they have really expanded their shovel, pan, and even knuck and flattie (GASP!) exhaust selection, and by that I mean they now HAVE a shov, pan, knuck and flattie exhaust section.  Also couldn't help but notice that pipes (w/o mufflers) that used to be overpriced at $380 last year are now overpriced at $580.

What do it mean?  Don't tell me that other thread was right about old scoots being the new fad.

motorplex88

Got mine the other day also and noticed the same thing. Maybe because there was never a huge selection it became more noticable. All I can do is look, overpriced for me. The ol' 72 will just have to have the same old pipes.  Maybe I'll build some.

jerite

yeah I looked at a D. Kirk catalog once.........once.
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

shovelbill

your indy can get you anything in those overpriced catalogs, usually cheaper.  they're only good for making up lists as far as i'm concerned.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

motorplex88

I kinda enjoy gettin em. Then I can look at the pics to see if I can conjur up the same thing on my own with the crap I already have layin around. A helluva alot more fun. :smile:

Snuff™

Shovelbill is right about making up lists.  I try to keep a couple different catalogs in my library.  You all ought to try Fog Hollow.  I’ve been using them for the past dozen years. And even if you don’t see it in the catalog or on the web, if you have a Mfg. part #, they can usually get it and at a reasonable price.  And hey! Those overpriced catalogs have glossy paper and, don’t flush well either.  :hyst:

-Snuff
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

ricochet

Overpriced maybe.  But never discount the power of their beat it by a buck offer if they still do it.  All you have to do is find the cheapest price for identical item and be able to point them to it and they'll beat it by a buck.  All of a sudden their price is the lowest.

ricochet

96flhpi

I wasn't slamming Kirk, just commenting on the fact they've expanded their parts for older bikes and wondering why now?  Used to order from them all the time when I had my evo and never had a problem with them.  Just haven't had much use for them since I made the switch to a shovel, maybe I'll look at them more now if they're gonna have more shov stuff.

Overpriced pipes comment wasn't directed at them either - it seems everyone has pipes priced way high lately.  $200 increase over a year seems a little excessive, but I'd think all the big boy catalogs will follow suit if they haven't already.

Hillside Motorcycle

Dennis Kirk, Jireh, and the like. :down:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Kevin

Some of the places that advertise the lowest prices don't actually stock the items, and it turns into a guessing game on how long it will take to get them. I usually go the Drag route through an indy. The thing I do like about DK is that their site shows if it's in stock or not. 
107" by Hyperformance
R&R St. 5 heads
R&R 615's & cam plate R&R roller rocker

ricochet

I usually call and check stock to be sure.  A lot of stuff like tires and HHI calipers that I got from DK had Drag Specialties tags all over them when I got them.  That has also been the case with other distributors too so Drag must be some big chearinghouse for a lot of this stuff.

ricochet

Princess Butt

I deal with DK all the time for Evo and TC stuff. I put a list together, find the most expensive item on the list and price shop that one item. If they meet the lowest price I can find online, then I buy all the other stuff from them.

I'll pay a few bucks more to get good customer service. It's hard to find a decent indy in this area. For a while, the last good one stopped selling parts because he was making a killing selling used bikes overseas. As a lot of the internet parts places go under, he'll probably start selling more parts.

Price parts are higher because steel jumped in price, and the increase in fuel prices to ship stuff, has finally filtered to the retail level. This happening just as the economy is slamming to a halt. Ouch.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.