May 08, 2024, 02:50:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Passenger Backrest Question

Started by War Horse, November 07, 2011, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

My buddy has an '87 FLHT that he's taken the tour pack off and put on a custom seat, he cant find a passenger backrest (sissy bar) for this year and model. Says that 84-94 nothing is made to work.

I think his OL is hard into his a$$, wants to ride but has a bad back....  :dgust:

So before I get involved into chopping , slicing and dicing up some other fitment, does anyone have an idea ???
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

q1svt

Kuryakyn has a nice backrest that is two pieces and bolts together… can buy the top and fab the docking piece.  My OL loves the height & support

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1783/Transformer-Backrest-for-HD
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

kik

This is what I basically did. I bought the side plates for the FL and a sissy bar. Whe it was all mounted, the sissy bar was actually cutting off some of the passenger seat area so they were pushed forward. I modified the sissy bar with so stainless stock and it worked out very well.

http://www.jpcycles.com/harley-sissy-bars-and-accessories?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=harley%20davidson%20sissy%20bar&utm_campaign=seats&gclid=CMib-umZpawCFcvJKgodwQpwag

War Horse

Thanks Kik, do you have any pictures of your modification  ? I have to go look at his bike anyway to see whats up, never paid much attention to the rear of his bike, but it should be do-able, I've done alot crazier things.....  :potstir:

kik

Quote from: War Horse on November 08, 2011, 03:48:56 AM
Thanks Kik, do you have any pictures of your modification  ? I have to go look at his bike anyway to see whats up, never paid much attention to the rear of his bike, but it should be do-able, I've done alot crazier things.....  :potstir:

WH, I looked for pics lastnight and I can't find any, But let me go take a look in the shed when I get home. I may actually still have that assembly laying around in there. If I do, I'll take a pic and post it. If you like it, you can have it for shipping cost. Either that or I'm aiming on seeing my mother towards the end on January. She lives about 25 - 30 miles from you. I can always bring it with me. (If I have It)

War Horse

kik

November 08, 2011, 06:03:10 PM #6 Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:12:18 PM by kik
Quote from: War Horse on November 08, 2011, 10:53:49 AM
Kik, sounds good let me know...  :teeth:

I found a pic let me know if I should actually look for it.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

redsled

Sounds to me like what you're looking for is basically a backrest for an FLHS (that was the Electraglide Sport) - it came without a tourpack, and was really pretty nasty looking bit of gear up front (apologies to anyone who has one).

Check out this thread on another board: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models/589956-91-electra-glide-looking-for-a-passenger-backrest.html

Some really good information here including both an OEM and aftermarket option.

Good luck.
-Tom

Mark222

Don't know how much work and $$$ you want to put into it, but I was able to convert my '91 FLHTCU to use the late model quick detach hardware for both the tour pak and the backrest.  Late model luggage rack will not work though, FYI.. Anybody need a late model solo seat luggage rack for a last model bagger?   :hyst:

Anyway, I have the required part numbers if interested, let me know.

Mark

War Horse

Quote from: kik on November 08, 2011, 06:03:10 PM

Kik, I dont think that will fit a '87 FLHT, the picture looks like a sportster, which would have a much narrower rear. But thanks for offering and digging out the pic....  :up:

Give me a shout when you come this way, Exfed will be here too , we could get together for a drink on me.....   :soda:

kik

Quote from: War Horse on November 09, 2011, 01:24:57 AM

Kik, I dont think that will fit a '87 FLHT, the picture looks like a sportster, which would have a much narrower rear. But thanks for offering and digging out the pic....  :up:

Give me a shout when you come this way, Exfed will be here too , we could get together for a drink on me.....   :soda:

That's actually an FLH rear fender. That bike had wvweything from 1959 - 2000 HD and Aftermarket parts hanging on it. Besides it only really matters if you want me to dig you up the actual part. You can do the same thing with with your own stock. I used a stock sissy bar and then I fabbed up the extras with Stainless. If you do those kids of angles, make sure you use gussets.

If I Find it I'll measure the distance between the legs.

Breeze

I did a quick ebay look, and saw this setup for $55 shipped. It may be adaptable without much work. They also have some slip over sissy bar pads at reasonable prices. http://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-shovelhead-panhead-Mustang-Pad-and-Sissy-Bar-/220886168680?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336dd77468
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

kik

Quote from: kik on November 09, 2011, 11:58:52 AM
Quote from: War Horse on November 09, 2011, 01:24:57 AM

That's actually an FLH rear fender. That bike had wvweything from 1959 - 2000 HD and Aftermarket parts hanging on it. Besides it only really matters if you want me to dig you up the actual part. You can do the same thing with with your own stock. I used a stock sissy bar and then I fabbed up the extras with Stainless. If you do those kids of angles, make sure you use gussets.

If I Find it I'll measure the distance between the legs.

I have 7 inches from inside to inside. What Breeze posted is almost Identicle. I just went outand found the bar itself. It would have to be sanded and either rechromed or powder coated. To much moister has gotten in the shed area. I found front and rear fenders that used to be painted, 2 peanut fuel tanks some wheels, I believe used to belong to and old 1967 t500 triumph i used to run. I wish I still had that bike, I don't even have pic...Bummer.

hbkeith

November 10, 2011, 03:03:58 AM #13 Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:11:46 AM by hbkeith
i ran a 97-up harley detachable backrest on my 93FLHTCU ,change out the licince plate mounting bar (got mine for $5 on ebay) to a 97-up.or 94-up roadking. i now use same backrest on my 97FLHR. check this ebay number- 260888424437. worked for me.

War Horse

Sorry for getting back so late, twas a busy day yesterday, thanks for the ideas  :up: today I hope to make it over to my friends house and take a look at what exactly he's gonna need .

Kik , hang on to that bar untill I take some measurements of his bike (almost said rear end  :doh: )

kik

(almost said rear end  :doh: )

LOL...No problem

War Horse

Kik, I dont think that back rest will work, we have 10 1/2" to the outside rails. Looks like a total fab job as soon as I get an idea of what to start with.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

hbkeith

War Horse

I saw the license plate mounting bracket on the ebay number you gave me but , do you have maybe a picture or part number for the detachable backrest, I dont seem to find what you mentioned.

hbkeith

ebay # 180752483526, lookin at your pics ,you dont need the liecence bracket,you already have plate mounted

War Horse

Quote from: hbkeith on November 12, 2011, 05:58:33 AM
ebay # 180752483526, lookin at your pics ,you dont need the liecence bracket,you already have plate mounted

10-4, thats why we need to get a backrest mounted, gonna go goggle the '97 up backrests and see what turns up.....

kik

War Horse

Kik, thanks for the idea but he has the tour pak and took it off, doesnt want to run it. He likes the RK look better. I think I might have found one at Denis Kirk.

I shot him the link and let him pick it out, after that I'll make it work for him.....  :potstir:

kik

Quote from: War Horse on November 14, 2011, 04:09:43 AM
Kik, thanks for the idea but he has the tour pak and took it off, doesnt want to run it. He likes the RK look better. I think I might have found one at Denis Kirk.

I shot him the link and let him pick it out, after that I'll make it work for him.....  :potstir:

Don't forget the pics. I love it when things get modified and custom fit.  :up:

War Horse

Will do, first we need to deal with the oil pump problem and then get back to backrest....