May 03, 2024, 01:25:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

royal purple

Started by Diggs223, January 15, 2009, 02:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs223

boss  at work was looking for royal purple oil for his mustang, called a salesman. the salesman came by,and in their chat, told him that they make the royal purple from mobile one .
anyone heard that before.
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

EagleFTE

Quite possibly true.  Royal Purple is a Group IV (PAO) based oil.  There are a limited number of manufacturers that produce PAO for base motor oil use.  So it is quite possible that RP buys their PAO from Exxon Mobil.  Hard to say but if the rep says so there is no good reason to doubt it.  Motor oil brands buy their components from someone.  They in many cases do not have the capacity to make their own and it wouldn't make sense financially.  But the complete products may be quite different even if they use the same base.  RP also has to buy the additives from someone such as Zinc, Phosphorus, Moly, Calcium, etc.  Then they blend it to make what they think is a marketable product. 

Think of this way, if brewing company AB and brewing company M buy barley from the same place is the taste of the beer the same? 

RP and M1 are fine products, use the same type of base oil (PAO) and may get it form the same supplier which may be Exxon Mobil.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit.  And where does Amsoil get their PAO?  Let the controversy begin.

And why we are at it RPs new oil filter is make by Champion and Amsoils EAO is made by Wix (at least some fo them).

:duel:

stroker800

I would have to say that is BS....there was a plant our done by the guy on the show "Trucks" on Spike....I have dealt directly with the IL supplier and with their people in Texas.
Dave

Phu Cat

The saleman's probably closer to a half way decent source than most of us.  Don't think Royal Purple owns a refienry but I could be wrong.  They may jusy  buy the feed stock and blend their own.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Sonny S.

Amsoils EAO is made by Wix (at least some fo them).

They are made by Donaldson

Diggs223

I can understand not everyone not having a refinery. if he had said a base oil/syn OK, but dont understand M1. it would already have additives in it. secondly I thought M1 was a grade below purple in being a true syn. . just curious because I have no clue.
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

apendejo

I thought Royal Purple was originally( a looooong time ago) a Union 76 product.
AP

EagleFTE

According to a guy that works at a Wix factory in the Carolinas and sees the product being made Donaldson media is purchased in bulk and the element is cut and canned by Wix with the Amsoil label painted on.  Very common in the filter business to for the big handfull of producers (Champ, Purolator, Wix, Donaldson, Honeywell) to make other filters under contract for various labels.  Even using competitors components.  Ever wonder why Wix filters are offered on Amsoils web site?

As for M1 being Group IV and / or Group III that debate has been going on for some time and Exxon Mobil says the answer is proprietary.

ken6217

Just because they buy it from Exxon/Mobil doesn't mean it is Mobil 1.
Ken

Sonny S.

Quote from: EagleFTE on January 16, 2009, 05:55:51 AM
According to a guy that works at a Wix factory in the Carolinas and sees the product being made Donaldson media is purchased in bulk and the element is cut and canned by Wix with the Amsoil label painted on.  Very common in the filter business to for the big handfull of producers (Champ, Purolator, Wix, Donaldson, Honeywell) to make other filters under contract for various labels.  Even using competitors components.  Ever wonder why Wix filters are offered on Amsoils web site?

As for M1 being Group IV and / or Group III that debate has been going on for some time and Exxon Mobil says the answer is proprietary.

Donaldson media   :up:   IMHO, it's a Donaldson. The canner ain't my concern, what's inside is. Anyone can can peaches but they don't all taste the same...lol
You see Amsoil offering Wix filters because it is called a partnership. Amsoil also sells Donandson filters....partnership  :wink:
For automobile use Amsoil recommends the Wix paper media filters for up to 7500 miles, and the Donaldson for up to 25,000 miles.
That gives them more market coverage.

Sonny S.

As for the PAO base stock. Doesn't matter if they buy it from Exxon/ Mobil. Someone has to supply it and if smaller companys can get the base from E/M cheaper than making it themselves or from other companys, then that's where they'll buy it.
There is a lot more to the oil than just the base stock.

EagleFTE

[/quote]

Donaldson media   :up:   IMHO, it's a Donaldson. The canner ain't my concern, what's inside is. Anyone can can peaches but they don't all taste the same...lol

For automobile use Amsoil recommends the Wix paper media filters for up to 7500 miles, and the Donaldson for up to 25,000 miles.
That gives them more market coverage.
[/quote]

Which is what what I said.  Just because they buy a base oil, media, additives, or anti drain back valve from someone else does not make their product the same as a competitor that also uses that component.