April 28, 2024, 07:42:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another compensator question

Started by bladerunner, November 13, 2011, 05:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladerunner

Any   idea  how much horsepower /  torque  a 2002 style compensator on a dyna  can handle ?     let`s call it rear wheel power  so we are all on the same page        ...bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

rbabos

November 13, 2011, 07:54:25 AM #1 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:56:43 AM by rbabos
Quote from: bladerunner on November 13, 2011, 05:24:44 AM
  Any   idea  how much horsepower /  torque  a 2002 style compensator on a dyna  can handle ?     let`s call it rear wheel power  so we are all on the same page        ...bladerunner
They can't really handle any horsepower to speak of. All of them will bottom out under less load than even a stock engine can deliver. This can be seen when torquing them down. Even the SE comp does this but there's more load range of operation before it hits the wall and goes solid. Bottom line, there is no comp action under high loads.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

QuoteEven the SE comp does this but there's more load range of operation before it hits the wall and goes solid. Bottom line, there is no comp action under high loads.
I'm sure there is.. Still have 180 deg where the rods ain''t pushing the crank..

As far as early comps go. they seem to be pretty study.. I've got 45K on one where 7500 was stage1, 15k was 95-100/100, and 22500 is over 125/125.. Still working well though the it's on it's 3rd clutch and second set of trap door bearings.. 

I would expect that the early comp will do reasonably well.. Hard launches may eventually kill it.. Especially at the track where you have a sticky surface.. I'd keep and eye on spring tension, spline and cam wear whenever going into the primary. 

Max

bladerunner

Ok  ,so  at high loads they lock up  , then its  a matter of cyclical  load on the spring ?   How about  solid drive sprocket  or belt drive  ?
Erie , pennsylvania

rbabos

Quote from: bladerunner on November 13, 2011, 08:25:30 AM
  Ok  ,so  at high loads they lock up  , then its  a matter of cyclical  load on the spring ?   How about  solid drive sprocket  or belt drive  ?
Thing is, nobody cares about smooth when at wfo. This comp mechanism shines in the lighter cruising ranges where it can function to take out the pulses from the engine. Well, at least minimize them. Solid sprocket, especially without an ids rear sprocket will be a nasty ride in cruise. Something us sotail and Dyna riders have to consider. On a bagger with ids the 30 tooth evo rigid sprocket works decent from what I've read on it. Some covert back due to the higher than desired cruise rpms rather than a light increase in engine pulses.
Max: Yes on the in between degrees. Get close to the wall with load, it will hammer the stop on a pulse and actually feel rougher in operation. There's a limited window where a comp really does what it's intended for and does well.
Ron

bladerunner

This bike spends most of it`s time between  5000 /6000 rpms  for about 10 secs.     :smile:   it  is street legal and I do  take short  hops with it . The  reason  for the  post ,  is that I`m going  from 106 cu   @  127 tq &hp   to 124   ...140 to 150   ?     and I was thinking the comp might be a weak link .  But It sounds like maybe not ...Just pay attention to it ...
Erie , pennsylvania

Velocity1

I'm on my 2nd comp. assy. With fairly radical cams 30mph cruising isn't much improved by the compensator, I don't believe.  When I hammer it in first or second gear, I can hear the comp. bang, and that's with the primary chain free play set right at 1/2."  I've contemplated either a solid sprocket assy. or converting to belt drive.  FWIW as stated earlier in this string, I think a stock powered bike easily overcomes the capability or the comp. as intended to function. Repeated abuse further weakens the assy. and renders it less effective.  Is there a better mouse trap?
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...