May 08, 2024, 04:13:30 AM

News:

Woods 408s and DDT ignition

Started by rking1550, November 14, 2011, 03:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rking1550

I just had a set of woods 408 cams put in. With 10.5 to 1 compression. I have a DDT ignition and am looking for a good starting point for the dials. Right now I have the initial and slope both set on 2. Only did one short ride no ping with those settings.
   I did ask Bob  Woods himself, he said he wasn't familiar with the DTT and didn't want to make a suggestion as to a good starting point.
I also have a new S&S IST ignition sitting on the shelf. Would that be a better way to go ?
Thanks for any help/advice/ options.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

HogMike

What year bike?
I haven't used the DDT, but, I've had the IST on an older evo, carbed bike, and have maybe 60K miles on that setup and the IST works as advertised. Plug and go!
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

rking1550

The bikes a 01 road king. 95" with a carb.

HogMike

Sounds like a IST would be a good choice since you already have one on the shelf!
I like mine.
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

1FSTRK

I would down load the latest tuning software from DTT, get the cable to link to the bike and build the proper timing map from scratch. You could speed things along by setting the timing with a dyno, or build the map from the bottom up by riding the bike and checking for ping. Either way you will have to stay on top of the AFR as you make timing changes. The DTT is a great system because it is so tunable so now you just have to tune it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rking1550

I've got the cable, down load and lap top already. I'm just not the best with computers. I can get the ping out ( right now I don't have any ) but that doesnt always mean its the best timing map.

1FSTRK

Perhaps a trip to a good dyno center is the next move. You can keep track of the AFR while making the timing adjustments as well as watching for the best torque through out the entire map range.
Switching to the IST will not guarantee the best map, it will give you a safe map but you already have that
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rking1550

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 14, 2011, 10:06:07 AM
Perhaps a trip to a good dyno center is the next move. You can keep track of the AFR while making the timing adjustments as well as watching for the best torque through out the entire map range.
Switching to the IST will not guarantee the best map, it will give you a safe map but you already have that

I agree and that is the plan, but around here the tuners I talk with don't do much if anything for timing maps. I've been told they don't need a timing change, they just do the afr and say "done". One local shop has a dyno, no way to read afr AND offer tuning services. dont know exactly what they do for efi bikes didnt get that far into the conversation with them, but for the carb they say they just "ride " it on the dyno like I would on the street and make the adjustment based on that.
There's another guy who did some tuning for me when I had EFI and a pc 3, he also said the timing was good the way it was with the map chosen for the pc3,said most mild builds don't need any more timing adjustments. I use him now just for info he doesn't tune carbs, but he'll put the bike on the dyno do some runs for me , check idle, cruise and wot , I'll take it home make the changes and try again. I'm usually close when I bring it to him at least on the afr, but never sure on the timing, as you said "safe map" doesn't mean best map.
  So finding a local tuner that I can trust is difficult at best. I wish I had access to a dyno to use myself, I still have a lot to learn, but I have more faith/trust in myself than alot of the locals I've talked to.

05FLHTC

Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA