May 03, 2024, 08:51:23 PM

News:

free PC diagnosis

Started by Phu Cat, January 16, 2009, 07:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

Heard an ad on the radio for a "free pc diagnosis".  They're supposed to check to see if you have a virus or are vulnerable to one by just going to :  freepcdiagnosis.com.

I'd like to know if our system is vulnerable (aside from the likelyhood that they're going to try to sell me something), but get concerned when something is offered for free.  Is there stuff an unscrupulous site like this can put on your computer?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

HV

Most of those sites do a scan free ..to get the results you need to pay....
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

4DWUDS

Yep, just like some dealers, say anything to get you in the door.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

Rags722

Open wide, bite hook.  Let us know how much this FREE stuff wound up costing you.

Oh, I also know guys that will do FREE transmission inspections, FREE roof inspections, FREE chimney inspections to say nothing of all the FREE trips you can win....to a time share visit.

HV

It will scan...tell you whats infected ..then say... " to remove the items buy our special deal "
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

JimB

try: www.pcpitstop.com

It will scan your computer for various stuff and gives you a free analysis. They do want you to sign up w/ an email & password but thats it. They do sell / recommend various products to correct your issues but its not a requirement that you buy anything. Sometimes the things they catch & then recommend how to fix seems odd but Im no computer expert so Im guessing its legit. I dont do all the fixes if I dont understand what its all about. If you do you may get a warning from Norton & Windows VISTA makes you approve them before checking your system out... small details

Ive used them monthly for several years to check/test my system ... no issues using them so far.

Mike52

Like Jim, I've used PCPitStop.com for many years, never bought any of their related software packages. One of the neat features I like is they can keep your computer testing scores and information in a 'History' so you can review any of the tests and compare the past to the present. It's a cool site.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

ThumperDeuce

These guys will scan and attempt to remove spyware type stuff at no charge.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

They will offer you a subsrciption service to do the same work automagically.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.