May 08, 2024, 09:56:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2003 XL883C starting issue?

Started by a8nsk8, November 21, 2011, 12:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a8nsk8

I have an 03 883 that has a year old battery in it from wally world. The battery tender stays on there all the time when not in use. When you go to start it, it starts to turn over as always then it starts clicking. The lights are bright and do not dim it just goes from turning over to clicking. Could the battery be going bad already? Or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks
West TN

andyxlh

Sounds like it isn't the battery. The lights would generally dim if that was the case. Perhaps you don't have a good connection on the starter motor - the thick lcable - or the contacts on the battery are not good. Or the starter has gone (brushes bad or windings burnt out) but I'd think a connection issue. Remember the thick cables are attached to the battery at one end and the frame for the neg and the starter for the pos. The clicking is the solenoid (electric switch) connecting the battery to the starter motor thro' the thick cable.
I'd start by using some emery paper on all the connections for the battery and the HT (thick) cables at both ends, and then go from there. Remember to disconnect the battery before the lead on the starter.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

a8nsk8

Thanks Andy
My father put the battery charger on overnight and he said he just tapped the starter it started right up. He asked me if the battery tender was showing green the whole time how did it run down?   :scratch: I told him I was not sure, but check the connections first.
West TN

andyxlh

Hmm - some times with the battery tenders they show green when there is no current being drawn from them. This of course usually happens when the battery is fully charged - but can also happen when the connections are not made correctly - some dirt of other insulator between the charger connectors and the battery terminals causing no current draw from the charger and a green light although the battery not being charged. Perhaps it was something as simple as that, it looked like all was good but the batt was not recieving a charge? Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you have it started.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Breeze

I have used many Wallyworld (Everstart) batteries. They usually lasted about 18 months. I did notice that the acid level needed to be checked and topped off  frequently.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

andyxlh

Guess I don't know what wallyworld is! I have always used Odyssey or OEM sealed gel batteries, and they seem to last a long time. Record was the battery in the Road King, and odyssey, which lasted over 8 years and about 60,000 miles! For the sporty I get between 3 and 5 years or so.

Breeze

"Wallyworld" = Walmart = the China connection
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.