May 04, 2024, 07:12:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CV Carb on 83 ironhead

Started by Weasel, November 25, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weasel

Just finished an 83 ironhead and have a CV carb on it. Not familar with this carb and wondering if this has to have a vacuum port on the intake to work properly. Starts on starting fluid and full choke, but idles a little fast. Will not take any throttle. Just dies. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Weasel

76shuvlinoff

I put a CV on my shovel. No big issues. I almost think your situation sounds like an intake leak. While idling spray around the intake seal with WD40 or starting fluid taking care not to get any sucked into the back of the carb air cleaner. If there are changes in the rpm you have a leak.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Weasel

I'll give that a try and post back my findings. Appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Weasel on November 25, 2011, 04:31:37 PM
Just finished an 83 ironhead and have a CV carb on it. Not familar with this carb and wondering if this has to have a vacuum port on the intake to work properly. Starts on starting fluid and full choke, but idles a little fast. Will not take any throttle. Just dies. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Weasel
Start with about a 52 pilot on that, as the signal on an Iron XL is substancially less than the engine that it came from.
Also, drill out the welch plug underneath(if it has not already been done) and set your air/idle at 2 1/2-3 turns out.
That should have you able to move it down the tarmac, and then adjust from there. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

whino

seen ur post got the same setup what didi u use for a bracket to keep the cv from falling off whino