Looking for feedback 92 FXRS Lowrider Convertible. !!!!!

Started by sandrooney, November 28, 2011, 04:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I am going to look at one for sale tomorrow. It has 22,000 miles looks very clean in the pics but seeing in person will tell that tale.

Does anyone have any info on this model and year good or bad ?

Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

turboprop

November 28, 2011, 04:51:49 AM #1 Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:20:23 AM by turboprop
Perhaps one of the best years for the FXR. The factory saddlebags for the FXR convertible are rare and easily sell for $500 a set. If they are not there the value of that bike drops. I would not be too concerned about the usual maintenance stuff, as that stuff is relatively inexpensive and sort of fun to tinker. If you ride it, do not be surprised if it has a slight wiggle at speed. The cleveblocks in the swingarm seem to go bad over time.

I bought a '91 FXR Conv a few years ago. Was really clean, owned by a 50 year old original owner, had detailed service records. I still had to replace almost every piece or rubber in the bike. Things like the well nuts that hold the side panels on, etc. 

Here are a couple pics of my '91. All of the oem stuff that has been removed has been saved and restored. Eventually I will put it all back to original.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

sandrooney

Nice bike. Thanks for the info. I am going to look at it today.
Thanks again,
SR

mp

The OEM lifters and inner cam bearing were weak in '92 and should be replaced before you get to 50,000 miles.  The cam bearing needs to be a Torrington B138 full complement bearing, as opposed to the INA caged bearing it came with.  As long as you're changing the bearing, a mild cam upgrade will really wake up your Evo.   
The transmission sprocket has splines that are too thin.  A change to the '93 or later sprocket will fix it.  Again, it will be a while before this gives you problems, but it's good to keep this stuff in mind so you can include it with other maintenance.  I also recommend better aftermarket suspension both front and rear. 

smittyon66

If you like to ride, you owe it to yourself to own at least one FXR in your life!
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

sandrooney

gryphon

I would like to add this. For many years (many years) I was not a big fan of FXR's. This was due to their style which just isn't mine. However, about 4 or 5 years ago my son and I built a custom FXR from the ground up. I gotta say that I was absolutely impressed with how smooth they are compared to the bikes I was used to. I'd ridden bikes with solidly mouned engines my whole life. My current bike is unquestionably the smoothest bike i've ever owned. But, above 3000 rpm there is no comparision between the two. The rubber mounted engine in the FXR is a whole different game. If I could afford to own and ride two bikes I would love to build an FXR street fighter.